Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

S14 Front End

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Felice

Felice

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hey all,

I posted some time back but due to other commitments i have just started getting into it.

I have just finished the 5 stud conversion on the rear and am now re building the front end of my Gaz as we speak, i recently wrecked an S14 and i have complete 5 stud front brake assembly with hubs etc, I have a pair of S13 and drivers side S14 LCAs which i can use (i can just get a matching passenger side S14)

Which is the best way to go?? Has anyone used s12 LCAs with S14 ball joints? is this possible?

Which ever setup is recommended what happens with the rack ends/tie rod ends of my S12 rack? Or is there a better way to go in racks? I dont want to run power steering though.

Car is going to be setup for street/strip aplications.

Thanks for your time guys i really appreciate it, there is a fair bit of info on this around the place but iam always out of time to sit down for hours and sift through it all, plus i figured if i asked now i will probably get the best combo to date.

Cheers :)

#2 CamInHead

CamInHead

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

I just tried to fit S14 balljoints into S12 arms today and they don't fit properly. They're supposed to be a press fit but the balljoints just fall in and out with no resistance. I've already done everything else so I have to figure a way to make it work :(
Posted Image

#3 inmans12

inmans12

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

S12 ball joints press fit into S13 LCA's from my experience, I suggest tac welding them in aswell just to be sure. S14 LCA's are longer from what a member compared long ago, say it would will give you more track and option to run more aggresive camber. As for steering rack a couple of guys have experimented with S13 ones such as Darryn and s12_silvia but S12 rack is by far the easiest.

Edited by inmans12, 17 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Assorted S12 parts for sale! PM For Enquires!

#4 al3x

al3x

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Car:CA18DET S12 Hatch

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have used r33 ball joints in s12 arms and s15 5 stud hubs, s14 should have similar front hub assembly.

#5 CamInHead

CamInHead

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

I'm wondering if my pattern/aftermarket arms are specific to their native balljoint ie; different to factory Nissan arms ? If S12 balljoints fit S13 arms then they should be interchangeable with S14, too. If I had some OEM arms I could find-out for sure but they literally don't exist in the UK, which is why I had to order some from America.

Is it safe to run with the balljoints tack welded in as the only means of retention ? They are really close to being right.
Posted Image

#6 4got10

4got10

VI

• 339 posts
  • Name:Wil

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

S13 hubs are different to S14 and S15 hubs.

S13 hubs have replaceable bearings, S14 and S15 require the entire hub to be swapped out.

From a maintenance point of view, S13 hub bearings can be sourced from any bearing comany, S14/S15 hubs maybe not so easy in the future?

#7 Felice

Felice

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Cool thanks guys..

al3x, did the r33 ball joint fit properly, or was it a slopy fit which required tack welding?

Wanting to go fast in a straight line so im not to fussed on agressive camber, but i would like the car to pull up nicely for street use.. From having all 3 (S12,S13,S14 LCAs) layed out on the ground the S14 is quite a bit longer than the s12, i could probably get away with the s13 one with the correct ball joint pressed in it and correct the camber with adjustable coilovers, but if i can get away with S12 LCAs with correct balljoint pressed in this is what i want, not sure if i use S14 LCA by the time i correct camber where the wheel is going to sit in the wheel arch.

Edited by Felice, 20 February 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#8 Felice

Felice

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I just tried to fit S14 balljoints into S12 arms today and they don't fit properly. They're supposed to be a press fit but the balljoints just fall in and out with no resistance. I've already done everything else so I have to figure a way to make it work :(

Thanks for letting me know mate, that eliminates going this way, good luck with the rest dude.. Sounds like you are in similar senario :]

#9 CamInHead

CamInHead

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for letting me know mate, that eliminates going this way, good luck with the rest dude.. Sounds like you are in similar senario :]

I need to find some genuine Nissan S12 arms and try my S14 blljoints in them. S13 arms really are too long. I have loads of camber, poke and a track width difference front to rear of 74mm. :(
Posted Image

#10 Felice

Felice

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Took my aussie spec S12 front LCA to pedders today they had 1x S14 type balljoint in stock, it pressed straight into my LCA.

Does anyone know what this setup is like using aussie spec S12 front end with S14 hubs, brakes and coilovers?? Bolted it in tonight with stock S14 strut ( only Just would not drive like it obviously) pretty thick + camber...

Edited by Felice, 24 February 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#11 inmans12

inmans12

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Should be very much like stock set up but the ablility to run bigger better brakes, coilovers and even wheel choices. Henry a member here had the same set up. With the S14 strut you'll most likely your tires/ wheels will scrub.
Assorted S12 parts for sale! PM For Enquires!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users