Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

whats draining my battery?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Shinigami

Shinigami

Birthday Nugget

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:12 AM

what?! ^^^ SOOO WRONG!

The stock ECU is in the passenger foot well. behind the kick pannel. and the stock det loom would never be long enough to reach under the passenger seat either.

thats wat i meant gadget i just didnt read it properly :P ;)

John
** Drive It, Like You Stole It **Posted ImageTouge and Drift Lover >.

#22 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

I hate to bring up an old thread, but did you ever resolve this? I have the same problem now (I couldn't be bothered starting a new post) and I can't work out what is doing it. How can you tell if the computer is staying on after the car is turned off? Mine started draining the other day and now I have to disconnect the battery overnight, and once I get to work. Could a lot of rain have triggered something weird?

#23 Lister

Lister

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:03 AM

Easy way to find out which circuit is causing the problem is by using a volt meter (not the one on the dash) And whilst watching the volt meter remove one fuse at a time. You will notice an increase in voltage if you remove a circuit that was using power. Always continue with your test after having found one because quite often you will find another. Once you have discovered which circuit you can then reference your Wiring Diagram (available on here somewhere) and see what else is attached to it and reslove your issue.........
Somehow i've ended up working for Toyota, If you need something special, or you have a friend in need, i'm willing to help. 07 4667 6025...Bloody Toyota's, Only good for keeping you in a job.....

#24 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

I had an issue... only figured out it was my ignition switch after it was very tempremental to start. S13 one's fit right in and if you modefy the plug on their leed. It fits with ours. I cable tied it in anyway for security ;)

#25 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Well my issue is resolved and lets just say laziness pays. :( I have no idea what went wrong, but it started working again and I haven't had any issues for about a week now. Bloody 23 year old cars.

#26 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

Ok found my leak, it might be the same issue for some of you...

My right (not left) headlight keeps turning on... for no apparent reason. I noticed this the other night when i had the lights in "sleepy mode" needless to say the battery was below the starting point, so required a jump start.

In saying that the left may have been on previously...

So any hints as to why that would be happening? I'm at a loss :s

Relay? not fuse obviously... not enough space / gel in the indicator stalk? hmmmmm....

#27 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

Found out whats happened.

Indicator stalk somhow arced out and melted a little, allowing the RH headlight to stay on at all times.

New one required.

I cleaned out the system and bent the wire. I think the LH headlight globe has blown, but the light do not pop up automatically with the headlights going on now. They do with high beam, and with the switch but not as they used to.

New indicator stalk and we'll see how we go.

#28 Huu

Huu

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Location:Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (the tea party capital of the world!!)

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

I have never had this problem. Tis wierd. What else are you running? How much was your alternator are you sure it's the correct wattage? Could your alternator not be charging your battery properly?

#29 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Yeah tis wierd but yeah a stuffed battery can have that effect.
I hate fat people!!

#30 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:38 AM

Battery is about a year old... and does hold charge... and does charge propperly, the wiring / switches were the issue.

LH headlight seems to be semi tempremental, but should be sorted out once i have a little more time to play. Looks like i may not have as much play time this weekend as i had hoped.

Though i am picking up the heart for the Gazute :ph34r:

#31 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Sorry dude I thought this was Blacky's wanted thread. I've got the flu bad so my brain is even more old and tired than usual!!
I hate fat people!!

#32 PSI-S12

PSI-S12

VIII

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

if anyone else is having issues with battery drain, i have another reason.

nissan originally used HITACHI brand alternators when they made the S12's.
BOSCH later created a replacement alternator as an option for replacement, but they were not exactly the same.
the HITACHI alternators have a totally different top mounting bracket style to the BOSCH. you will realize this when replacing your HITACHI with a BOSCH alternator. the top mounting issue is easily fixed, just remove the long bolt and the screw-block, and replace it with a 4cm threaded bolt and nut combo to lock the top mount in place.

the harder part of the swap is a slight change to the wiring loom. the HITACHI uses a twin 4mm male pin-out on the back of the alternator, the BOSCH only uses a single pin-out. take your old HITACHI loom, and you will see 2 wires going into a plug. one wire will be noticably smaller than the other. simply cut the plug off, leaving plenty of room to re-wire, and use the SMALLER wire, and crimp on a 4mm female pin-out, and plug it to the back of the BOSCH alternator once mounted. the LARGER wire can tehn be taped off and left unused. your BOSCH alternator will then be fine.

hope this helps,
will.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

CA18DET+FJ20E S12'S - OH HOW I MISS THEE...SR20DET S13 SILVIA - FOREVER UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NEED WHEELS REPAIRED? 0419 763 226 - WILLNEED S12 OR IMPORT RELATED AFTERMARKET PARTS? 0419 763 226 - WILL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users