Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

whats draining my battery?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:02 AM

hey guys,

my original alternator was dieing! so i replaced it with a series3 pintara bosch alternator, as my ca20e is a series 3 pintara's, any ways the alternator was replaced, only a couple of days of it working fine, the car now has somthing still using power when the car is totally turned off! which means if i wanna start my car the next day i have to disconnect my battery! the battery was also replaced 1month ago! but what would be causing this?? i really wanna know coz im over always disconnecting my battery! ;)

thanks heaps guys!
Posted Image

#2 nissanman

nissanman

Used to be S12'r :(

• Retired Admin/Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

The hatch boot light? i had a problem with mine...

wat headunit are you running? is it connected to constant power insted of thru ignition?

S15 200SX SPEC RPosted ImageSTILL SUPPORTING AUS12\S12Silvia.com wherever i may go...

#3 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

the headdeck defo isnt the problem, coz thats what i do... lol, ill check the boot light tho, jus disconnect it?
Posted Image

#4 Sadistic Moocow

Sadistic Moocow

Beached as, bro!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

I had the exact same problem with a brand new battery. Every morning id have to roll start it. I ended up buying a bigger battery because the alternator and battery was having trouble keeping up with the big stereo and the boot light was coming on after id close the hatch. So i took out the light globe in the boot and put the bigger battery in and she was fine.
fyi the battery i ended up getting was about 100 bucks, no idea wat size but that should give u an idea

BTW dont bother trying to roll start a car when the battery is dead and the car has an immobiliser. Lol im an IDIOT ;) i was pushing the car for nearly 2 hours before i figured that one out.

Edited by chickyberry, 04 February 2007 - 10:48 AM.

#5 nissanman

nissanman

Used to be S12'r :(

• Retired Admin/Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:59 AM

yea just rip the globe out,
have you got the lights on the sides of ur doors at all? like on the interoir door skin?

S15 200SX SPEC RPosted ImageSTILL SUPPORTING AUS12\S12Silvia.com wherever i may go...

#6 xr655

xr655

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

When you find the problem tell me as mine does the same thing. Remember mine has no interior lights, no radio the only thing needed to run off my battery after start up is the fuel pump.

#7 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

i removed all interior globes! just to be safe, theres no ligths in the doors either! my battery is a big fu** off one aswell, also costing me $100 at autobarn! so technically my problem should now be fixed??
Posted Image

#8 = SR S13 =

= SR S13 =

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

so technically my problem should now be fixed??

no that is never the case, i should know im a mechanic, there could be a current draw from many things not just globes

im not sure if the s12's have a powersave feature on them but i know BA falcons do and switch off after around an hour

#9 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

hmm, well its stayed alive for an hour, so the big test is tonight, leaving the battery connected overnight! ill let you know if the globes were the problem! thnaks!
Posted Image

#10 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

I've got the same problem on my car, but i'm assuming its all related to something I did when I installed the stereo and fu**ed up the lighting switch to drop the popups back down...

To lazy to take it to a auto elec at the moment.

#11 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

tmake sure ya lights are all the way up and down too if they arent entirly up\down they will keep trying to get there which will drain ya battery obviosly that wont be hard to check for

#12 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

the cars been starting, starts on 10volts

but its starting other then being dead! we'll see how she goes again tonight!?
Posted Image

#13 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

10V is all i get now days if i leave it over night. thats with the CA 18 det conversion.

I figured out the battery drain in mine... the ECU wasnt switching off... damn autoelec created a loop with running 2 relays for the fuel pump... meaning it stayed on...

Also i kinda some how managed to wire in my thermo switch to act like my turbo timer...

The thermo fans have a high and low setting, low is constantly on and high comes on only when the switch is activated (water temp is high enough). But when i turn off the car while the temp is still high... the engine stays on... keys out of the ignition... temp drop's and it switches off...

Rather happy in some regards :P Pain in the but in others... as the only way to turn it off manually is to then jump under the hood and turn up the adjuster to switch the switch to off!

long winded way of saying theres more than one option causing drain!

#14 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:02 AM

lol... nice story! you know... this is kinda really lame, but i think alot of people would do it... lol, that if you made a rite up on how to make your fake turbo timer on a n/a car, itd be a huge hit! lol!

ne ways i havnt started the car yet, bout to go do it tho, gunna give it a good wash and polish aswell! so we'll see
Posted Image

#15 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

hmm now the cars fully drained itself! absolutly dead! this is startin to piss me off! hmm! its gotta be sumthin in particular tho, for most gazelles to have the same problem, surely someone has fixed this before in their own gazelle?
Posted Image

#16 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

i know the CA18 ECU has lights so you can tell at a glance if it's switched off or not... you may want to check the ecu is actually switching off.

#17 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

wheres the ecu for a ca20e?? i know my old car that had a ca18 its ecu was under the passengers seat...
Posted Image

#18 Shinigami

Shinigami

Birthday Nugget

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

under the passengers seat...

^^^Bingo :P

John

Edited by Shinigami, 06 February 2007 - 06:14 PM.

** Drive It, Like You Stole It **Posted ImageTouge and Drift Lover >.

#19 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

what?! ^^^ SOOO WRONG!

The stock ECU is in the passenger foot well. behind the kick pannel. and the stock det loom would never be long enough to reach under the passenger seat either.

#20 Sam29

Sam29

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

ill just have a looksy around then shall i! lmao! most nissans ive owned or worked on have their ecu's around the passengers seat area, subaru's are mor the kick panel area...

ill find it! :P

thanks
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users