Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Head lights not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey all,

I've got a daily CA20 hatch that has had a front end ding that smashed the drivers side headlight and now that I have replaced the light it is blowing the passenger side headlight fuse.

The wiring is strange... At some stage someone has wired two of the drivers headlight wires onto the passenger side headlight wires. By this I mean they have connected two wires to the existing red/blue and red/green wires on the passenger side and run the wires across to the drivers side and connected them to the red/blue and red/green wires, eliminating the original wires. So the red/white wire is the only wire going to the original clip on the drivers side. (I hope this makes sense?). Does anyone know why they would have done this?

My friend and I got the lights working briefly without the motors attached (to pop the lights up) and I figured I would be able to drive around with the lights up all the time, no worries, but now they have started blowing fuses again. Could this be from the indicator stalk? I have tried cleaning it etc. to get it working properly, so I don't think this would be it... I tried the stalk from my other gazelle and had the same issue.

Thanks, Sam.

Edited by blacky05, 15 January 2011 - 06:25 PM.

#2 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

Sounds like the wiring to one of the lights went dodgey over the years so instead of replacing the wires they just piggy-backed one light from the other.. which means twice the current through the wires than they should have.. and half the voltage.. so your headlights would be shockingly dull me thinks.

best solution is to use the 2 headlight positive wires that ARE working to trigger 4 relays. each relay should be attached to direct (& fused) 12v power from the battery to each headlight through each relay. one each side for low beam, one each side for highbeam.

you follow?

this will make your lights a billion times brighter and stop the dodgey issue of running heaps of current through the old wires (25 year old wires from battery, thru loom to stalk, then back down thru loom to headlight)

#3 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

Thanks, yeah it makes sense. I'm not afraid of a bit of wiring, I just need to work through it and abandon the old wiring completely lol. They are pretty dull too. So I just follow the wires to the relays (unless someone can save me the hide and seek and just tell me where the relays are located? lol. Then redo all the wiring. Do I use 15amp auto wire?. And will this solve the fusing issue do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users