Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

1987 Nissan Silvia Full White RS-X

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#1 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Name:Matty
  • Car:Full White RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

In 1987, nearing the end of the S12 Silvia's lifespan in Japan, Nissan announced a lineup of 3 special edition models for sale to the public. Done in a similar fashion to Toyota releasing the Black Edition Sprinter towards the end of the AE86's build life, the main objective was to boost sales before the release of the newer S13 Silvia. The forerunner of this model lineup was the Twincam Turbo Full White RS-X, which stood above the lower specced models the Full White R-X and R-X White Select.

Available in only coupe form and painted all white it differed from the standard Japanese S12 lineup which sported two-tone paint schemes. The Full White RS-X also has many subtle exterior trim differences, a black themed interior and full JBL sound system. It received the new PLASMA CA18DET power plant and was available in both manual and automatic transmissions. A Nissan press release stated their intention to build 150 Full White RS-X's, however records show that only 90 models rolled off the production line.

I purchased my Full White RS-X in November 2009 with 74,000km's on the odometer. The car had recently been imported to Australia and was in need of compliance, engineering and registration. Unfortunately it was in less that desirable shape when I bought it, with a bit of exterior damage and small amounts of rust. Luckily though the interior and engine were in great condition and the car was completely unmodified apart from a set of aftermarket wheels. This would be the perfect project car for me.

Over the last few years this car has become my restoration project, I have slowly fixed it up and gathered the necessary parts to bring it back to its former glory. I am now the first Australian registered owner of this car and as far as I know it's the only Full White RS-X in the country. I have detailed every step of my journey with this car in my extensive build thread.

Latest Specifications: http://www.FullWhite.net/

Page 1: Introduction - Restoration Begins - OEM Silvia Lace Seat Covers

Page 2: OEM Headlight Wipers/Washers - OEM Passenger Footrest - Compliance Engineering

Page 3: 80,000km's - Registration - S13 Coilovers & Suspension Work

Page 4: CAZMAN Adjustable Castor Rods - Royal Key - Random Detail Photo's

Page 5: New Parts Arrive - NISMO S12 Strut Brace

Page 6: Body Preperation for Paint - Certificate of Exemption - Decal Reproduction

Page 7: My 3 JDM S12 Silvias - Body Work Progress

Page 8: Car is Painted! - NISMO Strut Brace Fitted

Page 9: 80's Silvia Stickers - Before & After Photo's - Silvia Goes to Sydney

Page 10: Silvia in the Blue Mountains - Work Equip 03's

Page 11: OEM JDM Fog Lights - Stiff Diff Photo Shoot - Showcased - NISMO R6 Wheels Arrive - Wheels Painted

Page 12: Wheels & Tyres Fitted - OEM JDM Rain Visors - Broadway Mirror

Page 13: OEM MKII Rear Spoiler - Roadtrip Back to Adelaide - NISMO Auto Louver Fog Lights

Page 14: OEM Radio & Equalizer - NISMO Fog Lights Fitted

Page 15: NISMO Fog Lights Wired In - All Japan Day 2013

Original Post 08/07/10

Hi,

My name is Matt.

I have owned four S12's in my lifetime, the first one was a 1984 Australian model Nissan Gazelle. I bought this back in 2002, did a few bits and pieces to it before selling it on. This car got me hooked on S12's, I fell in love with them. Since this Gazelle I have also owned three Japanese import S12's, a 1985 Nissan Silvia R-X.G, a 1984 Nissan Silvia Turbo RS-X, and this car a 1987 Nissan Silvia Twin Cam Turbo Full White RS-X. Yes, it is a really long name for a car!

I always had a soft spot for the MKII JDM Silvia range, there was something about the redesigned look of the car that I was attracted to. But not being easily available in Australia, I figured owning a MKII would always be a fantasy. Enter my friend Jack. He had purchased a MKII Silvia from an importer, the car was fresh off the boat, and now resided in Jack's garage uncomplied and unable to be driven. I visited Jack a few times and we would stand around looking at the car for a long time, I noticed the Full White RS-X markings on the doors, but never looked further into it. Late last year Jack informed me he was leaving for the UK to chase a career in photography, and asked if I would like to buy his car. I jumped at the opportunity, I really wanted it. I drove around to Jacks place and arranged everything to buy the car, got all the parts and paperwork together, and said I would be back in the next few days to pick it up.

I picked up the car a couple of days later, and drove it on permit to its new home at my girlfriends house. It sat in a dark shed whilst I started gathering the parts needed to get it complied to Australian standards and registered for South Australian roads. During this process I started to look further into what I had gotten my hands on. The Full White RS-X was something I had never heard of before, and something I had never heard anybody else mention. After much hunting, I found some material. In December 2009 I posted this article about the Full White RS-X, exposing a lot of information about the little known about and mysterious version of the S12 lineup. I also used a family member (Thanks Laura!!) in Japan to help me track down the set of Nissan sales brochures containing information on the Full White RS-X. This is the dedicated brochure to the Full White RS-X:

Posted Image

And the MKII Nissan Silvia brochure, revised to contain information about the new Full White addition:

Posted Image

More information and download link on the dedicated Full White brochure is available here, and the revised MKII full range brochure is available here.

I have also written letters to Nissan Japan for more information about the car and to find out production numbers. But each time the responses have been not very helpful. I know this is a rare version of the S12, I would like to know how rare and how many were made. The search continues. I have still only managed to track down 2 other Full White RS-X's. One belongs to a Japanese guy who has a very clean example, and the other one is in the United Kingdom, i have been in touch with the owner about his car.

Ok, so more about my car...

The breed of this car is authenticated in it's model number printed on the build plate. All second generation MKII Silvia's RS-X coupe's received the model number BS12HFT. The Full White RS-X was printed with the model number BS12HFTX, as stated in the brochures.

Posted Image

This car was built in July 1987, and made it to Australia on a boat and into my hands on the 22nd of November 2009. The condition of the car is not the best. There was rust in one of the quarter panels and it was a little dented up, the paintwork and decals were also a bit worn out. The upside was that the car only had 79,000km's on the clock, and the interior and engine bay were completely original and in great condition. This would be a great restoration project for me, something I have always wanted to tackle. Some pics from day 1...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In February this year real work started on getting this RS-X sorted. I organised a permit and drove the car around to Wil's place and we spent a solid day on the car. We started off up at U-Pull-It Lonsdale and pulled a clean door and front quarter off a wrecked white S12 coupe. We took the new parts to Wil's house and started the transfer. The door card and all the internals were swapped into the fresh door, and the front quarter was replaced so that the rusted out one could be ditched. We then ate a BBQ and relaxed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://s12silvia.com...23-work-begins/

I then went and purchased all the Nolathane bushes needed to freshen up all the old ones. I did most of the bushes myself, however I did not have a press to get the old ones out of the lower control arms and trailing arms, so this was done at a workshop along with a few other bits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whist under the car I also noticed one of the lower control arms was bent. Luckily Wil had a spare one lying around, so it was around to his place once again to pick it up. Got back to the car and installed the new part.

Posted Image

I have since installed many more fresh parts on the car in readiness for inspection. New clutch slave cylinder, new brake rotors all round, new ball joints, every bush and boot under the car has been replaced with new ones, and new tie rods. The car also got some new tyres and was given a much needed wheel alignment.

Posted Image

The car is getting ready to go to an engineer in the next week to get side intrusion bars, rear passenger seatbelts, and rear child restraint points installed. The engineer must install and sign off on these for compliance. Hopefully this goes well, and I can have it registered and driving soon. Future plans will be fitting my S13 coilover suspension setup, and then straight onto fixing up the bodywork and applying a fresh lick of paint.

A couple more pictures for good measure....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Big thanks to my girlfriend Sarah for letting me store the car at her house for so long, and understanding my passion for S12's in general. To Wil, cheers for all the help along the way mate, car wouldn't be where it is without your contribution. To people for helping me out with parts I needed, from the US, Japan, and around Australia. To Barry my mechanic, awesome work and somebody that also understands the passion for 80's Nissans.

Thanks for reading my story. I hope to provide many more updates along my journey to restoring this rare piece of S12 to its former glory.

Matt.
  • !ImWriterBrist, BrantKn, Ridgetor and 2 others like this

#2 4got10

4got10

VI

• 341 posts
  • Name:Wil

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Im glad i could help where i could, it was the least i could do after all your help! Its good to see this beast loved instead of left in a shed until Jack gets back from the UK. Its also fantastic to see so many quality build threads on S12silvia.com.
  • !ImWriterBrist, BrantKn, Ridgetor and 1 other like this

#3 RannerZ

RannerZ

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Great progress Matt.

But what are you going to do about the guard and door? Your going to have to get the original panels fixed as you cant put those indentation style lines in the gazelle panels.
Posted ImageFJ20 YO!

#4 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Great progress Matt.

But what are you going to do about the guard and door? Your going to have to get the original panels fixed as you cant put those indentation style lines in the gazelle panels.

Cheers mate.

The indents on the MKI and MKII panels are the same, same depth and in the same place. All I need to do is remove the MKI strips from inside the indents, fill some holes, and then place the MKII trim below the existing indents to match the rest of the panels.

#5 RannerZ

RannerZ

VIII

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Cheers mate.

The indents on the MKI and MKII panels are the same, same depth and in the same place. All I need to do is remove the MKI strips from inside the indents, fill some holes, and then place the MKII trim below the existing indents to match the rest of the panels.

on closer inspection the door mould is indented in.
Completely forgot about that.
  • BrantKn, Ridgetor and Quick Loan like this
Posted ImageFJ20 YO!

#6 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

on closer inspection the door mould is indented in.
Completely forgot about that.

You made me think twice! I had to run outside and check it all haha. Hard to see from the photos though.

Some more detailed information about the car from Nissan...

Silvia Coupe Twin Cam Turbo Full White RS-X

Dimensions
Length: 4460mm
Width: 1670mm
Height: 1330mm
Weight: 1455kg

Wheelbase: 2425mm
Tread Front: 1390mm
Tread Rear: 1425mm

Engine:

PLASMA-CA18DET
4 Cylinder in-line DOHC
Displacement: 1809cc
Bore x Stroke: 83.0 x 83.6

Max. Power: 145PS/6400rpm(net).
Max. Torque: 20.5kgm/4000rpm.

Compression Ratio: 8.5 to 1.
Fuel System: Nissan EGI (ECCS)

Gearbox:

1: 3.592
2: 2.057
3: 1.361
4: 1.000
5: 0.821
R: 3.657

Differential:

Ratio: 4.375

Suspension:

Front: Independent struts with torsion bar type stabilizer.
Rear: Independent semi-trailing arms with torsion type stabilizer.

Brakes:

Front: Ventilated discs
Rear: Discs

Tyres:

195/60R15 86H Potenza RE71 Radial

Model Specific Features:

Special decal kit on doors.
White over white factory paint, divided by silver and red pinstripe.
Black 'shadow' accents on lower front lip, side sils, underneath side windows, and on the boot.
Full black interior, double Russel cloth seats.
Full JBL sound system, JBL badging on door cards.
Bronze glass.

Model Features:

Halogen headlights.
Electronic remote control door mirrors.
Interlocking wipers.
AM/FM tuner (25w + 25w)
Dolby cassette deck.
Power antenna.
Power steering.
Tilt steering.
One touch power windows.
  • BrantKn and Ridgetor like this

#7 EightySix200sx

EightySix200sx

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:56 AM

i love this car. this is gonna be an epicly clean car when finished mate!
Posted Image= low fun sexytime! -low.XII.position =Need S12 Parts? Vinyls? Whatever! email: lowXIIposition@yahoo.com-Tijuana makes me happy -Demi Lovato makes me happy -Latinas make me happy period!

#8 Draconis

Draconis

1st Member from the US of A

• 4,084 posts
  • Name:Colin
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

Long time coming for this build for sure! Def. looking forward to more updates of this. It is going to be one of the better restorations imo.

#9 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

That's basically the spec I was hoping to "build" with the CA18det... except with a front mount.

Unfortunatly, for me, I doubt that will ever happen with funds and the Gazute underway.

It looks amazing. I was also under the impression that the MK2 lights were a different shape to the MK1's but if it's only due to the strip under them, SWEET! :D

I have a set but will have to do/invent something to make it work with a MK1 number plate surround and lower panel.

Best of luck, I have looked forward to seeing that car in it's former glory for some time!

#10 kyskater

kyskater

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

hey can you get a closer up pic of the mk2 belt moulding? i wanna see where the red is on the moulding
Posted Image

#11 caraudiofoolery

caraudiofoolery

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

if youre in need of some SE sideskirts to complete the look, let me know :)

i love this car.
Posted ImageLOW.XII.POSITION

#12 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Loving the car as always, Matty.

Interestingly, the car has been in the country a lot longer than you think. I remember making the owner previous to Jack, an offer on it. This was back in early 2008, and the car had apparently been sitting unstarted for around 12 months, the guy reckoned. Nonetheless, I'm glad it ended up within our community. keep at it ;)

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#13 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

hey can you get a closer up pic of the mk2 belt moulding? i wanna see where the red is on the moulding

For sure, will see if I can find a pic and will send it to you.

if youre in need of some SE sideskirts to complete the look, let me know :)

i love this car.

Still undecided on whether or not I will leave it completely original, or make some changes to the body styling, including the addition of SE sideskirts. Cheers for the offer of help.

Loving the car as always, Matty.

Interestingly, the car has been in the country a lot longer than you think. I remember making the owner previous to Jack, an offer on it. This was back in early 2008, and the car had apparently been sitting unstarted for around 12 months, the guy reckoned. Nonetheless, I'm glad it ended up within our community. keep at it ;)

Interesting.
I was under the impression Jack bought the car from the importer. Was it the importer you were in contact with?
The car is definitely in good hands now!
  • BrantKn likes this

#14 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

No idea, to be honest. He wasn't the nicest person to deal with, either. Apparently the fuel pump had had the Richard, so I asked him if he'd assist us with getting it running so that we, or a transport company could come and collect it. He wasn't keen on that idea, so I (regretfully) told him to jam it.
  • BrantKn likes this

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#15 rjaayyx3

rjaayyx3

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

i love your car great find i saw this on the s12silvia blog originally and was quite jealous of your Mk2 parkers. My car use to have them but unfortunately the car was involved into an accident with the previous owner (my uncle) and couldn't find an replacement for the LH parkers. But Goodluck with the restoration it will be great to see how it turns out!
Cheers Rhod
1. 1985 Nissan Gazelle CA20e (SOLD)2. 1984 Nissan Gazelle (SOLD)3. 1984 Nissan Gazelle SR20DET4. AE82 Toyota Corolla Twin Cam (DD)

#16 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

Small update, nothing major...

Just some cosmetic additions. When I got the car it had the factory option seat cover, the rear one anyway. I have now gotten my hands on the front pair, thanks to Colin, to complete the set. Nissan JDM factory option Silvia seat covers, or as I like to call them the 'granny lace' covers....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also managed to get my hands on Nissan factory option passenger footrest, and a set of factory option headlights with weather wipers. Will get some photos of these soon and hopefully get them onto the car.

In other news, still waiting to get the car booked into an engineer for compliance. Will update once it goes through.

#17 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Haha, those seat covers are soooo Granny spec!! It's awesome, I can imagine a cop getting to the window after pulling you over then seeing them and saying "Oh..." then walking back to his car and driving off lol.

#18 EightySix200sx

EightySix200sx

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

omg those seat covers are sick!!!!!!!
Posted Image= low fun sexytime! -low.XII.position =Need S12 Parts? Vinyls? Whatever! email: lowXIIposition@yahoo.com-Tijuana makes me happy -Demi Lovato makes me happy -Latinas make me happy period!

#19 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Car is booked in with an engineer for compliance on the 9th of this month!
Following that will be a roadworthy inspection and an ID check.

Could be on the roads soon. Exciting. Posted Image

#20 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

Super exciting!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users