Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gazelle Clock Fix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 redgazelle

redgazelle

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Joe

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi guys, Just a quick bit of info on how to fix your randomly working dash clock.

The unit needs to be removed then disassembled and all the solder joints on the circuit board re-heated and set again with a soldering iron. Aparently the solder being as old as it is has contact problems. I discovered this from a nissan patrol forum and it fixed my patrols clock, so thought Id give it a go on the gazelle clock and it fixed it too.

To get the clock out of the dash: pull out the shroud thats just clipped in, which then reveals two screws that hold the clock in. Unscrew the screws, disconnect the plug at the back, and its out. The clock has a couple of tabs on the top and bottom which once depressed allow the face to come away from the body and now you can see the circuit board inside. You will have to release the plug from its holder and then the circuit board will just lift out. Installation is a reversal of these steps.

I avoided the screen and microchip solder points and only resoldered the power wires, capacitors, resistors, etc.
And use a low watt soldering iron. It only takes a second to melt the small amount of solder.

So there you have it, dont put up with a clock that works sometimes and other times wont, took me about 1/2hour to do it, if you can handle a soldering iron its a piece of piss.

Edited by redgazelle, 25 June 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#2 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:38 AM

good piece of advice will pin this topic for future use

my s12 clocks have never missed a beat but my dailys one is very intermittent quite annoying might have to spend 5 mins with the soldering iron fixing it

another s12 clock related question - does everyone else reset button reset the time even tho your in the timer trying to reset it?

#3 gaz_man

gaz_man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

good piece of advice will pin this topic for future use

my s12 clocks have never missed a beat but my dailys one is very intermittent quite annoying might have to spend 5 mins with the soldering iron fixing it

another s12 clock related question - does everyone else reset button reset the time even tho your in the timer trying to reset it?

Yes, and it fu**en pisses me off
Quote Dave ****Since your asking these questions, its already way to hard for you. Give up now.No, im serious. Its a terrible idea.

#4 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, but from memory, the actual clock mode is separate from that.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#5 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

so it shouldnt do it ? but most do lol

#6 snafu

snafu

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

Soldered all the joints in my clock a few days ago and so far it seems to have fixed it.

Just used some flux to help the old solder flow and added more as it needed.

Easy fix! :D

#7 Grubby

Grubby

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Well there ya go........ I often wondered why my clock only worked when it felt like it. Factory option!

#8 Nick

Nick

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:rb20 s12

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

Haha. Great post, will get onto this one tomorrow, this has been annoying me for years!

#9 blacky05

blacky05

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:51 PM

Lol, I actually changed the fuse for mine today, wondering if it had somehow failed without showing any signs! Definitely gonna fix this when I have some time! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users