Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ca18det conversion in s12

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Joshyouwah

Joshyouwah

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

say i have an s12 with a ca18det conversion done.
what would be the next step for being able to get it registered in adelaide with this conversion done? engineering? mod plating? legal?
or is there no need to do anything about it?

cheers, josh.
  • R19nush likes this

#2 suraido

suraido

Original OG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

well first step is to get a copy of the current Transport sa specifications (Most recent edition which can be de downloaded)

You basically need to make sure your brakes are larger than the standard ca20 ones. So sr20 or r32 preferably.

I beleive the specs in the gazelle state that only up to 2.4l sohc can be put in there without a regency check.

If your going 1.8l DOHC turbo then your getting a full check. And you will just have to confirm it with transport SA, but also engineered.

Matty (Castle) is dealing with his SR20 on defect at the moment.

Mine is not engineered. Most people will tell you to drive it till you get defected and deal with it then. Thats what im going to tell you too.
  • R19nush likes this
RIP CA18DET Drift project, Cube sold, S13.5 in bits, S13 still alive.

#3 swampdonkyy

swampdonkyy

XII Hall Of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:S12 SILVIA FISCO
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

Mine is not engineered. Most people will tell you to drive it till you get defected and deal with it then. Thats what im going to tell you too.

I would agree with that 100% as is what 1 of my m8's ;) has been doing for the last 10yrs

#4 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

CA18ET you can do with a simple change of engine number form.

CA18DET needs to be engineered and ticked off by regency.

You're going to need to upgrade the brakes anyway, or you'd be crazy. So, if you can afford an engineer's certificate, do so.
If not, drive it anyway, start saving now for the engineer's certificate 'cause you'll more than likely be pulled up one day and given a pretty windscreen sticker.

I'm also interested in what the go is with turbos...
Say, I do a CA18DE conversion, I get it engineered and through regency.
If I add a turbo, do I need to get a new certificate? Do I need to tell regency? (to be legit)

#5 suraido

suraido

Original OG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

To be ligit, yes you do James. As it is an increase in horsepower and is putting the car under more stress and is capable of quicker acceleration and higher speeds.

Basically it is another go with the engineer. He is basically going to tell you what you already know. A gazelle can handle the power of a 1.8L DOHC Turbo. But the sad thing is you have to pay for the process again.
RIP CA18DET Drift project, Cube sold, S13.5 in bits, S13 still alive.

#6 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:58 PM

ive got a sr with brake and diff conversion. enginerred in NSW and im moving to SA would it pass the sa tests. or just dont worry about it

ive got a sr with brake and diff conversion. enginerred in NSW and im moving to SA would it pass the sa tests. or just dont worry about it

#7 Jimme_be

Jimme_be

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

This may not be 100% applicable, but it's what needs to be done when fitting a motor not listed on the 'approved engine change list (cat 1 or 2)'.

Torsional rigidity test - $800
Brake fade test - $400
Lane Change Test - $400
Emissions test - $100 IIRC
Track hire and travel time for engineer - $400 ish
Preparation of engineering documents - $300

First things first - get the form from regency asking to modify your car (statement of requirements IIRC), and start from there.

FYI regency generally won't tell you to 'change you brakes to xxx' but specify you have to have a brake fade test. If you fail the test, you've burnt up to $800 - so best they're done right before the testing.

I echo the above about driving it around until it's defected. Just keep it as sleeperish as possible while you save the money.

FWIW, Rory Thompson is highly recommended for doing the engineering. His customers will tell you that, and inspectors at regency have respect for him (unlike some other SA automotive engineers getting around).

#8 Jimme_be

Jimme_be

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

No. It would have to be re-engineered from scratch. They pay no attention to interstate engineering. IMO keep it rego'd in NSW for as long as you can.

#9 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

No. It would have to be re-engineered from scratch. They pay no attention to interstate engineering. IMO keep it rego'd in NSW for as long as you can.

are you sure,

i will have to look at the cert tonight as see.

the problem is that in NSW you need to get a check every year. its a bit hard if you are interstate

#10 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

talk to matt, his s12 with sr20 got defected and he's now takin' off the road, but i'm sure he's done some research into it.

best bet is to register it in NSW for as long as you can, even if you have to register it as joint ownership with a NSW resident (ie. a relative)

you only have to take the car to a copshop to get an ID check before you can register it here, but if anything's clearly defectable (ie. engine conversion/too low/etc) then they will let you know that and send you away (they wont defect you)

oh and SAPOL will generally leave interstate cars alone as it's too much paperwork for them to fill in if they want to defect you

#11 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

talk to matt, his s12 with sr20 got defected and he's now takin' off the road, but i'm sure he's done some research into it.

best bet is to register it in NSW for as long as you can, even if you have to register it as joint ownership with a NSW resident (ie. a relative)

you only have to take the car to a copshop to get an ID check before you can register it here, but if anything's clearly defectable (ie. engine conversion/too low/etc) then they will let you know that and send you away (they wont defect you)

oh and SAPOL will generally leave interstate cars alone as it's too much paperwork for them to fill in if they want to defect you

the SAPOL dont like me, i got fined on a scooter a few years back.

i will have to look into it.

its rego in NSW the vin number and everything changed. i dont think the cops would know that its a engine conversion. from just looking you cant tell,

its not to low, or anything.

only thing that will fail i think are bov, intercooler and computer. but all are hidden.

would it be easy to sell the gazelle in NSW and buy one over in SA.

#12 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

intercooler is fine as long as it's mounted safely.

computer will be fine, boost controller will not be.

bov is fine if plumbed back in.. if it's atmospheric, then you'll need to lose it.

in terms of buying one, there's a few for sale in SA at the moment, very nice selection actually..

#13 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

intercooler is fine as long as it's mounted safely.

computer will be fine, boost controller will not be.

bov is fine if plumbed back in.. if it's atmospheric, then you'll need to lose it.

in terms of buying one, there's a few for sale in SA at the moment, very nice selection actually..

BOV can be plumb back. Boost controller can be gone. cooler is mounted.

but how likely is it to be defected, if your not stupid.

#14 Jimme_be

Jimme_be

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I am certain you cannot get by with engineering from another state. No doubt whatsoever.

But firstly Jo - what motor are you running?

BOV on a CA = no, BOV on an SR = OK if plumbed in.

As for ECU - they might unplug your AFM to see if you're running a/m management. Nistune is fine for this, but Power FC will 'apparently' stall. If you have no AFM due to running a MAP sensor, this will be pretty obvious to them.

FMIC is ok if secure and Reo is not cut.

They will jump on any boost actuator they see that's not stock, and any wires that look like you'll plug it in when you get back home. I'd suggest just running boost straight off the actuator.

AFAIK there are now only 2 places to do a Tier 2 inspection ($52) - see here http://www.sa.gov.au...pection (Tier 2)

I have no idea about the Lonsdale setup, but at regency they will pick on everything if they get the chance. They will be looking at your engine number, VIN and general safety of the car. Once they see your engine number different to what they are generally registered with - that's when they'll say your car needs to be engineered before rego can be done.

At regency you get cluey and docile inspectors. The cluey ones can pick a T25 from a T25g, so you're pretty much screwed unless you keep it rego'd in NSW.

#15 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Engine Type: SR20det redtop from a s13

Modifications:
1985 Nissan Gazelle Hatch
Factory Sunroof
Engineers Certificate
S13 Redtop SR20DET & 5 Speed Conversion.
1 Piece Tailshaft
Ford 9 inch diff with 4.11 LSD
Pedders Shocks
King Springs
Microtech Lt8 computer
GFB Dual Stage Boost Controller
GFB Stealth BOV
Custom Made FMIC and Piping
3 inch Exhaust
Split Dump Pipe
Remote Start Alarm with Keyless Entry
Momo Steering Wheel
Momo Gear Knob
Blaupunkt Stereo
Autometer Guages - Boost, Oil Pressure, Water Temp
15 inch Simmons V5 Mesh Rims
Resprayed in Black 3 years ago
Rego till the end of December.
disk brakes all round

is this a no go, or what would need to be changed

#16 Mr.CA

Mr.CA

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

hey mate not that im bag`n what ppl say on fourms but, on something like this you need to ring some who will give you
and straight and 100% answer and i have just the person for you,

this is the number for vehicle standards in south australia ring this guy he will tell you everything and anything you can do
explain about the engineer stuff and he will tell you straight up :P

ph: 1300 882 248

see how u go with them mate they should tell you everything you need to know

cheers,mike
Posted Image

#17 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

thanks i will give him a call tomorrow.

hopefully i can sort it out.

if it needs to be engineered again, its not going to be worth it.

#18 Jimme_be

Jimme_be

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Fair point Mike, but with all due respect the people answering that phone are not 100% on every case and are not putting their career on the line if they misinform you. For this reason I'd recommend an engineer who makes a living from providing this service, and values their reputation. Engineers however are not know for being the best communicators...

#19 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

Fair point Mike, but with all due respect the people answering that phone are not 100% on every case and are not putting their career on the line if they misinform you. For this reason I'd recommend an engineer who makes a living from providing this service, and values their reputation. Engineers however are not know for being the best communicators...

All I want to know is if it's worth the hassle.

I could always kept it rego'd in nsw it would mean a drive back every year for christmas and rego, that's not very hard,

cost $300 in fuel Every year

or is it easier to rego in sa.

I could always try if I fail. Nsw rego it is. Easy.

#20 crompensation

crompensation

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

i gave the vehicle stardards a call.

he said

1) bov = fail, no bov. plumb back or anything

2) computer = fail. must be stardard

3) turbo timer = fail. nationwide oops.

4) suspension = fail must be stardand height or fail.

5) motor = pass. engineer cert ok.

its not looking good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users