Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thermo Fans

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

Okay, so after Brad's mention of AU falcon thermo fans being a nice slim fit to replace the clutch fan on the front of the motor...
I'm curious!

What's the deal with these?
I presume mounting is not bolt in, but also not a great deal of work..

But, what about wiring? Just run a switch to the dash and turn them on when you're parked/at the lights?
Or leave 'em going constantly? Or is there a way they can be self-controlled?

(I have no idea about thermo fans but like the idea of having them! :P

Anyone experienced?
cheers!

#2 Lister

Lister

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:22 AM

Ok you can buy linear zipties(oil cooler/thermo fan mounting kits) basically a plastic screw that goes through your radiator fins and can hold the fans to it. You can also buy an adjustable thermo fan switch with a probe that fits into your top radiator hose. Both of these will be available from your local parts shop. Ice and Davies craig make the switch and plenty f cheap brands make the fitting kit. you will also need to buy a relay as the fan requires to draw around 20 amps to run and this shoud come directly from the battery via the realy....
Somehow i've ended up working for Toyota, If you need something special, or you have a friend in need, i'm willing to help. 07 4667 6025...Bloody Toyota's, Only good for keeping you in a job.....

#3 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

Easy to run... you get a Temp dependant switch, a relay and some connectors and conduit.

The temp switch i got is variable, so you can adjust when it turns on, and also came with a wiring diagram of how to set it up. It's really VERY simple in terms of wiring in something.

#4 gaz_man

gaz_man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

Easy to run... you get a Temp dependant switch, a relay and some connectors and conduit.

The temp switch i got is variable, so you can adjust when it turns on, and also came with a wiring diagram of how to set it up. It's really VERY simple in terms of wiring in something.

Funny enough about Ford fans, Ford Mondeo fans are a fit, they use twin 10s and they keep SR Gazes nice and cool :)
Quote Dave ****Since your asking these questions, its already way to hard for you. Give up now.No, im serious. Its a terrible idea.

#5 Cheddle

Cheddle

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Funny enough about Ford fans, Ford Mondeo fans are a fit, they use twin 10s and they keep SR Gazes nice and cool :P

ive got my intercooler where my radiator was and the radiator spaced back, still plenty of room between the engine and the radiator but how thick are the au/mondeo fans??

so either the falcon or the mondeo set up will fit? just drill some holes for the bolts/zipties?? or will the shroud require cutting?
- S12 notch SGL-x - CA18DET REBUILT w/ 160 RWKW @14 PSI - coil-overs front+ falcon/commo rear - $5,000!!! 0407815680

#6 gaz_man

gaz_man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

ive got my intercooler where my radiator was and the radiator spaced back, still plenty of room between the engine and the radiator but how thick are the au/mondeo fans??

so either the falcon or the mondeo set up will fit? just drill some holes for the bolts/zipties?? or will the shroud require cutting?

There not that thick, roughly 100 110 from what i can eyeball, they are an exact fit onto the SR radiator, if by cutting the shroud you meanthe thermo one, no need, fits straight on, if its the plastic shroud around the rad from the factory, forget it, get rid of it and run the fans, kept mine too cool, had to put in a thermo controller to turn them on and off instead of running them constantly
Quote Dave ****Since your asking these questions, its already way to hard for you. Give up now.No, im serious. Its a terrible idea.

#7 Cheddle

Cheddle

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

There not that thick, roughly 100 110 from what i can eyeball, they are an exact fit onto the SR radiator, if by cutting the shroud you meanthe thermo one, no need, fits straight on, if its the plastic shroud around the rad from the factory, forget it, get rid of it and run the fans, kept mine too cool, had to put in a thermo controller to turn them on and off instead of running them constantly

i dont have the factory shroud as my radiator was re-positioned, without the shroud my clutch fun is useless... my radiator isnt in the best shape either and i plan on replacing it with a new S12 stocko one and then ill slap on the AU twin thermos with a supercheap auto controler.

are they ok to be run constantly??
- S12 notch SGL-x - CA18DET REBUILT w/ 160 RWKW @14 PSI - coil-overs front+ falcon/commo rear - $5,000!!! 0407815680

#8 gaz_man

gaz_man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

i dont have the factory shroud as my radiator was re-positioned, without the shroud my clutch fun is useless... my radiator isnt in the best shape either and i plan on replacing it with a new S12 stocko one and then ill slap on the AU twin thermos with a supercheap auto controler.

are they ok to be run constantly??

I run mine constantly, draws a bit of power but, needed a relay set up.

#9 Cheddle

Cheddle

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

I run mine constantly, draws a bit of power but, needed a relay set up.

do you notice any extra time taken to warm up or anything??? dosnt run too cold on low-load highway runs??

#10 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Don't run them constantly thermo fans do burn out and fail sometimes and also drain the electrical system to much. It always tends to be at the worst times thathey fail and if you don't constantly watch your temp guage could be disastrous, (from personal experience). Also I've had a probe snap off one of those probe type controller switches inside the radiator hose and then the fans just don't come on, they are shite.
You can get screw in type switches like temp senders, there are heaps and heaps of styles and on off temp setting available, this is what factory thermo fan setups use.
I hate fat people!!

#11 Cheddle

Cheddle

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Don't run them constantly thermo fans do burn out and fail sometimes and also drain the electrical system to much. It always tends to be at the worst times thathey fail and if you don't constantly watch your temp guage could be disastrous, (from personal experience). Also I've had a probe snap off one of those probe type controller switches inside the radiator hose and then the fans just don't come on, they are shite.
You can get screw in type switches like temp senders, there are heaps and heaps of styles and on off temp setting available, this is what factory thermo fan setups use.

thanks for the advice, I will try to find one of those screw in type ones, ive used them in the past for temp gauges and have never had a single issue...

id be inclined to "dodgey" the "probe" on one of the types you mention, and id actually wrap electrical tape around the radiator hose to "splint" the copper pipe/wire. surely the reason it snapped was becaues external vibration/pressure was applied to it... i cant see how the water flow snapped it.

I had an ET pulsar with a switch to control the thermo fans... was the biggest pain in the ass EVER... everytime you stop, flick, when you drive off, flick, stop, flick, go, flick, stop, flick, go... aARGGRRrgRGR

oh well. thermo fans arnt my higest priority right now... have basically every part of my suspension apart from the springs and shocks falling apart... sounds like a combination of a train and an african tribal drum dance when im driving "clickety dong bing bang pop da-dong bong" not a healty sound...

Edited by Cheddle, 24 October 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#12 Cheddle

Cheddle

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

my clutch fan decided it didnt want to be a clutch fan any more... so i got a craig daives temp switch for $55 - some wiring for $10 - and a 12in super cheap fan with wiring and relay for $69 - took me about 2 hours to install and works a treat :-)

given the condition of my radiator... im happy with the result

#13 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

I have 3 good condition S12 radiators in stock, should you require a replacement :)
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#14 S12NUT

S12NUT

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

The supercheap controller that is described is not a bad unit, have had one on my V8 for 10 years . i didn't put the probe in the radiator hose though, i just poked it into the core between the fins , works fine just had 2 be turned up a little. Didn't like the in hose idea as is prone to leaks .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users