Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battery not charging,

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hey guys,

this one is a little complicated in proceedings.

I went away to crows nest (150km west) for a week, my car spent about 2 days straight without use, It made it up there fine, then I had a couple of days with it not running due to being busy with the reason I was up there, so it wasn't used Tuesday or Wednesdau, come thursday, and I start it, It is having trouble, Check the voltage and it's varying between 10 - 12V and I checked my Oil and I was nearly out, so I filled up with more oil. Took her for a spin and the Volts went back to 12 and became more consistant.

Sunday, I was home back from out west, went out and get a new fan belt as mine has been squealing for quiet some time and stretched to it's limits, I unfortunately only got to the point of removing the belt off the pulleys, but then relised I had 2 other belts to get past, i put the belt back on and went out to my destination that was waiting, During the trip sunday night, my alternator belt was consistantly squealing, ussually it would if it was cold but in this case, I believe it was just very very loose and my Volts were nearly on 8V so I got her home and left her. I changed the belt ov the next day making it tight got it all back together and left it at that,

Took it out yesterday to work and it was worse than ever, the volts were dropping constantly and as soon as I go to the top of my street, She died and I just rolled down to the front of my house. She would not start. I assumed it was my Alternator, and changed it. I then got my neighbour to jump start it, and it was running, I took her up to the shops turned her off for about 20 minutes, and then started up and back home. Turned her off at home and tried starting again and it would not go, the starter just continued to click. jump started a few more time, and just went around the street once and it died. did this about 5 times, the battery was not taking any charge at the time. got working at one point where I took off and got stuck at the train line next to my house sat there for a minutes just contantly reving the engine trying to get some power into it, just dropped even more, as I took off from the train line, all I got was a hard struggle trying it to push whatever it had left to get around the corner and back to my house, with constant back fire. My sisters mate came around who is a mechanic and he said it was possible that because my jumpped it with his engine going I could have blown the ECU, SO I swapped them, and I still had struggle getting it going as it died about 10feet down the road.

So my mum gave me a lift to the shops and I bought a new battery, Spoke to dean who said while the car is running the Volts on the multimetre should be above 13V to mean it is charging. Turned on this morning 12.15 then flicked between .15 and .16 then it dropped after about 10 second .14 -.15 and then another one down. Turned it off and it was producing 12.35V my last battery was contantly 11.5V when turned off.

So anyway, that's where I am at so far. Any idea's? I need to get this running due to starting new job on friday that is no where near public transport :S

Cheers Guys.
Posted Image

#2 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

wow, sounds like you've tried everything, ouch!
save yourself a lot of hassle, take it to an auto electrician and let them work it out??

#3 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

yeah.. monies pretty tight at the moment seeing I have been on holidays for 5 weeks due to school holidays, so no pay! and also I prefer to try and do it myself as it is, but out of idea's, except that maybe one of the other lines on the back aren't on properly on the alternator
Posted Image

#4 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

well... It's charging now, turns out, the belt i got stretched itself quite a lot when I first put it on, so now my alternator is at the end of the adjustment arm, but the belt is tight as. should be. However,, my Multimetre is saying 14.5V so I assume it is putting through a charge.

Les hope it survives!
Posted Image

#5 al3x

al3x

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Car:CA18DET S12 Hatch

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

take the belt into an auto parts store and get a belt with 5/10 less teeth and it will bring the alternator in closer to the engine and you won't run out of adjustment when it stretches.

#6 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

yeah, I just went into repco and got an alternator belt for a CA20, and that's what they gave me, compared it when I took the other belt off and it was a lot smaller.4
Posted Image

#7 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

AHHHH !!!!! So I was on my way out tonight, and my belt snapped, the new one, it wasn't even tight! I was 200 Metre's away from my mates house, so I dropped it there, and going back in the morning to put my old belt on so I can get to repco and get another new belt. The old one is completely ripped to shreads and was caught all up in my fan. So it's not looking good at this point, but hopefully tomorrow I will have some sucess, I'll just have a squealing fan belt whilst I head to repco. Might change my belt over whilst I am there as well!
Posted Image

#8 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:23 AM

Time to revisit.

So today, I finally got my cluster back in after installing my tacho, and started my car up again. I installed new Bosch Coils that I got from Alex. She started beautifully. however. My battery is only getting 11.83V whilst running and 12.43V Whilst off.

The only change that has been made is the Cluster Coming out and back in and the tacho being installed. I amrunning the power/Acc. off the Key ignition Acc. line.

The car has been turned off for about a month and a half now.

Does any one have any idea's of what to check? The alternator seems to be working, but not doing it's job.

Also, my stereo is currently not installed. so no speakers, sub, amp, HU are running.

fyi I checked voltage using a multimetre.

Cheers

Edited by kj0, 15 April 2009 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image

#9 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

did you actually drive/rev the car!??!

you'll find the alternator may not kick in until you first take off/rev the engine (just take off in first and watch the volts jump up!)

#10 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

yeah, I'm about to drive it soon to my mechanic for him to fix the Clutch again, so I'll Check it out then.
Posted Image

#11 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

check the single wire is plugged into the alternator... activates the battery light on the dash and get's it up n running...

it should sit around 13-14V whilst running.

#12 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Well I had checked that with the multimetre, and it was saying 14v being produced. So yeah, but I took it for a spin to the mechanics and it shot up quickly, so it's all good, Although I am missing the right half of my Cluster cause the lights are working there. and not sure if my fuel gauge is working, but that's cool.
Posted Image

#13 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

You removed the fibre optic light didn't you? That's why half the cluster doesn't light up :thumbsup_anim:

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#14 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Gazelle has a fibre optic light? Awesome.
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#15 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Yuh!

It's the little green light next to the ignition lock :thumbsup_anim:

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#16 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

You removed the fibre optic light didn't you? That's why half the cluster doesn't light up :thumbsup_anim:

Strange.. it's still there, not in place on the casing, but it's just rolled up/ how does that effect the rest of it? it's not a joining piece.
Posted Image

#17 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

If it's been disconnected from the cluster, it takes out the lights on one side.

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#18 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

haha Strange. It's never worked anyway (the fibre) and I didn't take it out. but I'll check it out!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users