Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sound Systems

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 RannerZ

RannerZ

VIII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Im going to be installing a full sound system in the xS12x within the next few weeks.
How has everybody else gone by this? Has someone made a walk through of installing sound systems?
Posted ImageFJ20 YO!

#2 David B

David B

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

Im going to be installing a full sound system in the xS12x within the next few weeks.
How has everybody else gone by this? Has someone made a walk through of installing sound systems?

my reccomendations, i dunno the price differences... or the brand differences

my setup, basically from best buy and some sound places, i had a friend who worked there buy it so i got it 60 percent off

in the front
i have the kenwood head unit, its the 2cnd grade out of the 5 grandes they have, 5 being the best

inifnity speakers in the front, have had them for 2 years AND NEVER have they blow, they become disconnected sometimes... but never blown, great speakers for thatdeck

if you buy a pioneer or sony deck, sometimes they COME with a smart harness, which adapts the cars harness to your headunit without the soldering or crimping.

youll need a mounting kit, i found my at circuit city, and also, youll need the harness, if its not a smart harness, youll have to read each wire, which says *right speaker* *power* etc, and either crimp or solder them together,

youll also have to buy a antennna adapter, i found that at best buy.

with rear speakers, ifd try cheaper ones, that out out more BASS, because you have room back there in the speaker holes. and the infinitys are better for treble regardless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my sub sound system consists of

12 inch power acoustik FUBR puts out 1800 volts, **60 USD, but i had 60 percent off remember
i forgot the box but its costed 150 USD but my deal made it 60 USD also, it is high quailty and ported

power acoustik capiciter, i got it out of my jobs catalog for like 80 percent off,** 30 USD you only need a capaciter if your using a larger sub system, it helps fro the lights dimming and the speakers fading when your sub hits

i have 4 gauge wire that runs through the whole setup too

and a ALPINE MRP 850 amp, which boasts just the same amount of energy as my sub does. together its a super mono setup.

i have my system mostly removed due to drifting

here are super big pics. sorry, i didnt have the cover for the head unit, but that comes with the mounting kit i bleive, it fills in the empty gaps... or just cut sh** yourself and zip tie it

the pics are from like a month after i got my car
im 17 years old, if i can do it. anyone can
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by David B, 05 November 2008 - 04:53 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

the tips ive got are

wen putting speaker in the doors make sure the window winder still has room to go

definatly remove the center console bit to run the cables under its not hard and makes life 100% easier

the whole frame come out where the head unit is so its real easy to make a little bit of wood to tidy up the area around the HU im pretty sure there was a template of one in thw roks dunno if it happened or not tho

#4 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

when you put new speakers in the front doors, they will almost certainly stick out as the holes aren't too deep there
so be warned, your window winder may not make it around and you'll have to find a replacement shorter one

wiring in a sound system ain't overly difficult
power, earth, leads from headunit to amp, wires to speakers
i'm not sure what someone said about an aerial adapter, but my headunit is attached directly to the stock aerial wire, so no issues with that.

just be sure when you run the wires for your amp(s), send all your RCA leads down one side of the car
and the power/positive for the amp(s) down the other
if you put them near each other you will get horrible signal

connecting the loom is not difficult and once you spend ten minutes getting your head around which wire is which, it'll become clear how simple it all is
if in doubt, get out your multimeter or test-light and do some investigating!

#5 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

LOL! It's simple as!

I have Rockford Fosgates in the fronts. Top of the line splits. I am currently running the stock rears, but that will be changed within the next few weeks to Kenwood KCF-350 6x9's that are currently sitting in the back seat waiting to go in. I am running s KDC-*007 Headunit, Put it in, was a piece of piss, Just need to know which is which cable.

Running a 10" Fusion Tube sub in the back with built in Amp. Sounds amazing! Packs a lot of power for a Fusion. I Run the RCA's down through and under my passenger Door, and the power through and under my Drivers door. I then run the AMP-HU cable through my centre console, under drivers seat then up around with my power. Ground is connected to a screw that holds the fuel Cap cable.

It's a lot of work, but you have to be concious with pulling up carpet or what not. Took me a while to get my head around wrecking my car to get it in, but then I did and it all fitted back nicely. I'm happy with it, until i get my new amp and wire in my 6x9's
Posted Image

#6 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

make sure you put in decent wiring the first time
saves you having to redo it when you decide you want to up the power

so, run two power cables when you install it
and run 2 sets of RCAs to the back, not just one
this means when you add a second amp or something to the rear, it's as easy as hookin' it up!
i'd recommend 4Gauge wiring, anything more and you're being silly
8Gauge is cheap and fine if you dont intend to run more than 200W

dont use any of the stock speaker-wires, they're 20 years old, don't risk it

good luck and if it's your first time, you'll need some patience!

#7 David B

David B

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

i ran my power wire on the passenger (right) side of the car up along the doors/walls under the carpet.

and i ran my input cables to my amp, with the remote head unit wire through the middle under the carpet/plastic
running cables togetehr suppposbly makes feedback noise

oh. and beware! you will need to get new door handles if your speakers are too big like i had to!
mines from a 1951 buick

but yea, the whole deal is simple, plenty of info here
Posted Image

#8 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

haha i was wondering wtf was with your window winders very different to the normal nice improvising tho

#9 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

ah i love having power windows :thumbsup_anim:

Clarion do some nice shallow 6" speakers designed for doors like ours BTW.

#10 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

yes i plan on my next s12 having power windows altho finding a hatch with them is not easy so might have to d it myself :thumbsup_anim:

the kenwoods i got (old 6"s) were shallow to fit great depth wise altho ive still manage to break the tweeters of em lol

#11 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

the alternative is to cut a new hole further along in the doors and run a speaker there, then just cover the old hole with the stock grills or reupholster over it

#12 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

You'd be easier off getting a couple of coupe doors n swapping them over... if not just the innards. As i dont know of any hatches that have them that didnt have them swapped in. Though i'm sure they exist.

#13 DannyS12

DannyS12

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

in the aim of savin space... and well coz i have no rear interior in my hatch im gonna be sealin and sound deadening the spare wheel well and mountin a sub inside of that..
wen i get the car runnin again and get my stereo installed ill elaborate more on the stereo set up..

#14 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

sub instead of spare wheel?
don't you need a spare wheel to be "legal"?

and make sure there's a strong grill on that sub, otherwise the bootspace will become ornamental only :P

still, sounds like a sweet idea

#15 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

I mounted my Pioneer splits behind the stock speaker grilles in my hatch. Looks stealth and the windows went up and down just nicely.

S12s are a piece of piss to wire up a head unit in, as the stock one has the wiring diagram on it :P

Also, you can use the factory head unit mounts, with the single DIN carrier mounted in it, to mount your new head unit. Then just get a sheet of aluminium, and cut some neat shapes to fill in the gaps.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#16 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

i'm not sure, but i think mine's got the stock single DIN carrier thing

i just put 2 big long screws through it, nuts on the end and tightened them till it squeezed down and clamped my headunit in place :P
saves fiddly screws and makes it easy to remove/adjust position!

i can take a photo sometime if nobody understands what i said..

#17 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

I don't, but sure.

With mine, it had it's own metal casing that came with it, and it just slid in, and then locked into place. Worked well, but took a bloody hour or two to work out which way it went in.
Posted Image

#18 DannyS12

DannyS12

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

sub instead of spare wheel?
don't you need a spare wheel to be "legal"?

and make sure there's a strong grill on that sub, otherwise the bootspace will become ornamental only :P

still, sounds like a sweet idea

lol my gazelle isnt exactly the most road worthy haha
as i said it has no interior past the front seats..
ive got a half cage for it that needs a few slight mods b4 it can fit right..
it is rather low. and will be rather loud ahah
and i will be lining the back part of the inside of the car with 5" thick foam so that should the need arise i can sleep in the back and be some wat comfortable..
and yes there will be protection over the sub.. in the form of a sheet of perspex i can get it cheap thru work so yeah.. ill be drillin a sh** load of holes in it so that its not sealed in there and then layin the foam over the top to keep it all nice n hidden.

#19 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:26 AM

sounds like you've got it all worked out!^

don't go too low, mine's dumped and it's a bitch, (hits a coke can laying on it's side)
i'm gonna put some lowered king springs in it to bring it back up

back on sound systems, has anybody tried/seen speakers mounted in the sides of the rear of the hatch?

#20 Woody,

Woody,

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

ive got a set of pioneer 220watt 3way's up front and rear, they fit perfectly, still under the stock grill too, i think i had to drill some holes for the screws but the window winder is fine and the window dosent hit either so im happy,

i then have a jvc head unit, not to good but am upgrading soon, i have a kenwood 500w amp running a kenwood dual voice coil 12" sub, (goes really really hard) i just bought a 3 farad capacitor and a 1600 watt amp to run my speakers off, it should go off chops when i install these.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users