Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How loud is too loud?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

So I just got home from being out until 11, and my mum is complaining my car stereo is too loud, She could hear it before she heard my car. Now, When i sit in my car, I have it So I have even sound from around me. (Being musical, I am put off real easy by uneven sound) However, because my boot is thin, it's a lot louder my sub, but from inside the car, it's not that loud.

Anyone know rules and what not? I understand 11pm is probably a bit late, but still.
Posted Image

#2 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:40 AM

i have a similar issue with noise
my parents hear me down-changing coming down the hill to our place
at 1am, a loud exhaust travels nicely..
and then, they complain they can hear the stereo as i come down our driveway...and i do not have it cranked

so i'd say chill, parental types are always going to complain it's too loud

but yes, there are rules relating to noise pollution, something in the order of 90db? in SA i believe

lookin' on the EPA page regarding "noise" (http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/noise.html)

Help with noise not regulated by the EPA

* 'People noise'
This includes noise from parties, loud radios or stereos and revving cars. Contact your local police station.

so, you'll have to ask the cops what "too loud" really is!
hope that helps you out a little! :(

#3 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:52 AM

Does a little. Got a mate with a Subey, He's getting a new exhaust and he is a cop (in training) He doesn't crank his stereo at any point, but he loves his exhaust. The luder the Better apparently, I knoiw there is a limit, but knowing would help a lot.

Also, If I have been playing a cd and turn my car off, when i turn it on next time, the USB kicks in instead, so it almost doubles because the CD isn't as loud. Not my fault though.
Posted Image

#4 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

thats parents for ya i get that all the time and i usually turn it down at the end of our driveway (2metres:P ) either way theyll get over it its only an issue if the neighbours complain untill then who cares.:(

and from a legal point it rly doesnt matter with stereos as cops dnt carry a in car stereo decibel reader so even if they were to give you a ticket for too loud stereo it be a simple (no real proof) arguement in court and the ticket gets thrown out, i know this 100% as a mate of mine who used to be into car audio did exactly that didnt even have a lawer the second time :P

#5 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

Apparently ppl have been given fines for noise polution when cruising around here :s

oh well... i dont have mine cranked, as i rather reasonably loud with good clarity as opposed to obsenely loud that i can feel and have massive distortion.

Having a 89.9dB (checked when installed) exhaust does mean i'm rather loud at full throttle, though, cruising it's nice and quiet :(

#6 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

yeah, i have a mate who got pulled over, stock engine VP commo with extractors, came in 2dB under the limit
if that's any indication of how loud you can be

#7 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, I want to get a new Exhaust, something a little louder, mine has a loud hum at low revs, and quite decent at higher revs,

My sounds system can crank quite well without getting distorted, and that's with the stocks in the back. I do have 6x9's that I want to put in, but trying to get room to fit them in the stock holes is the challenge. I've got a Fusion Tube sub and for a cheap company it's really good!!!
Posted Image

#8 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

yeah fusion are okay for the money you pay

i got some wood and made new surrounds when i put my boss 6x9s in, much easier than trying to mess around with the stock things!

but if you're going for good sound, some 6inch splits in the front is the way to go
fusion also do good cheap splits, if u wanna match your sub

make sure whatever new exhaust you put on it isn't too high-flowing or the CA20 will lose power at low revs

#9 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, Will probably just be a new tip. I was offered a straight through bolt on Cat, hi-Flo, it's suppose to be a lot louder. (Be good if it had a resinator to drill out :()

Yeah, I have Rock forsgate or something in the front as my components. 6" and tweeters. and I have Kenwood 350watt (Some high number) 6x9's

The guy who hI bought my car off cut 6x9 holes in the side of th back seat, So I have to get some grills to cover those up once I get the 6x9's in on the parcel shelf. (Currently they are hiding those holes) might throw a cheap set in those holes and get a channelamp to run all 6x9's.
Posted Image

#10 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

shoulda got a hatch strut towers make excellant speaker boxes as my 6x9's will testify

#11 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Absolutly, I've seen it done in my mates gazelle, But fortunately, I got a notch
Posted Image

#12 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

^ you mean fortunatly... you dont have to lug around the extra kg's :P

#13 MellettMotorSport

MellettMotorSport

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

90db at 4000rpm is what regency test at.
Different rpms for different amounts of cylinders, to achieve 'the power range'
Or something along those lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users