Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running 18psi daily... Wait, i mean volts

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Problem: Alternator is buggered I believe, or perhaps the dash but i doubt that. More revs means more volts on the dash, will check with multimeter tomorrow i imagine. Its basically the same relationship wether freerevving or under load, idle = 14 drive = 16 flog = 18 or more according to the dash. Ive been driving it like this for weeks with no problems, not even my amplifier has complained.

Question: Whats the problem here, and how does one fix it and what is that likely to cost?

Cheers, Dave
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#2 al3x

al3x

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Car:CA18DET S12 Hatch

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:12 PM

Sounds like the voltage regulator on your alternator has died, this is what keeps your battery charging at ~14v no matter what the revs.

Drop into a auto electrician and they can check it out for you.

#3 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

mine did that for a few weeks
then the alternator died completely

so i'd recommend getting it fixed :P

#4 al3x

al3x

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Car:CA18DET S12 Hatch

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:16 AM

I've got an excellent condition alternator off my ca20e if your interested? will sell it for $100 posted, would have been used about 3-4 months before taking the engine out going ca18det. let me know.

#5 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Attacked with the multimeter today, dash doesnt lie, it is indeed charging at anywhere from 14 at 1000 to 18 at 3-4, and I assume it goes higher when im giving it some berries.

As an aside, would this extra voltage be the reason that in the course of a few weeks my drivers side front quarter (not the panel, the area) has all started to corrode... Like, battery acid corrode.

This car is shitting me lately, just keeps asking me to get a S13 roller...
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#6 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, battery is probably venting like a bitch now.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#7 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

After my last post i was oh gee now it makes sense, and upon inspection my battery is cooked as, didnt see it at first glance but once i was looking for it I noticed that my battery is... well... deformed and melted and bulged on the sides, all but exploded. I blame everything on CA20Es, theyre sh**.

#8 MellettMotorSport

MellettMotorSport

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Mine did the same until the battery died, then the alternator died. Happened after having the vented bonnet on , and it pretty much poured it onto the alternator, geussing just ate it out...hehe...

#9 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:00 PM

Extending on an old topic.... My Regulator died last night.

I ripped the alternator out, but when quizzed by the auto-elec, I noticed a 2 pin plug wasnt being used.

Apparently that assists the Alternator regulator AND the battery issue light which triggers the alternator into working at start up... which at the moment i need to blip to get 12v+ charge rather than just start n have the car die within a few minutes running solely off the battery.

So, my question is, what plugs are used on the CA20e alternator? (series one if any differece) And that way i can work out which wires are supposed to be on (going to) that plug.

Other than the large Positive Eyelet and small earth Eyelet.

Cheers

#10 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

Ok boy's Listen up.

The Two pin plug that goes into the Alternator has the two wires.
_--_
[ I I ]

Plug looks like that ^

The one on the left, goes to the bettery. But can just be looped to to the alternator (+)

The one on the right goes to the black flat pin (female) plug that is on the same bit of loom. That is the battery warning light on the dash. This will "stimulate" the alternator into working at start up and be used as a warning light if the regulator shits it's self again.

The regulator will then work a hell of alot better and more stable, therefore giving all the ECU comparitive voltages more accurately and consistantly. Better for the car all round!

#11 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

is that for ca18 or ca20 tho?

#12 james

james

XI

• 2,299 posts
  • Name:James
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

^should be the same for both, no?

#13 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

My car is a CA18det... but the alternator could be used on either, just by switching over the pulley.

In the 2 days driving it with those two wires hooked up has made a noticable difference in how smooth the engine runs at idle and initial start up.

#14 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

ah so it doesnt apply to ca20's outta the box

#15 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

NUP, but with all the CA20e's that have had their alternator replaced, there would probably be a few with CA18 one's on them.

#16 Gazelle D

Gazelle D

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

NUP, but with all the CA20e's that have had their alternator replaced, there would probably be a few with CA18 one's on them.

from my experience's the ca20 alternator runs a V belt and doesn't have nissan's lovely oval plug with release clip, and the ca18 runs a 4pk ? rib belt which runs the plug.

i haven't seen any later model alternators on gazelle's and went to convert mine when my ca18et had one hanging off the side but my crank pulley had a chunk missing.

i spose i could have changed the pulley and fan, but it was easier to bolt the old girl back on.

ok i'm sidetracked, i vote for newer technology, but got slack

All my gazelle's are gone, but i have a stock S14 sunday driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users