Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get the Tacho working...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Fester

Fester

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

Changing the diff ratio will certainly change the speedo; 4.11 should be much closer to reality than 2.9 (stock auto diff is 3.9 I think?). Also, what umai said about speedo drives. I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing.

I do think you're running the tacho off a coil, as I can't see the Microtech being that far out. Whoever did the work may have done it that way because the Microtech tacho output doesn't supply enough grunt to directly drive the tacho; it needs a pullup resistor iirc, otherwise it doesn't work at all.
I used to spool, but now I drive a Barina :/

#22 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

The worst thing about Xmas time is nothing is really open for this week.
Cheers Fester and Umai Naa i will let you know how i go with it.

#23 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

Stocker, CA20E.
Location; Eaglehawk, outside BENDIGO, VIC (3556).Call me; 0411 604 294-- Keep in mind I don't answer "private" calls generally.

#24 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

Signal wire into the back of the tacho = light green
I hate fat people!!

#25 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

And on the other end? Which wire coming off the dizzy? The dark green is the power for the tacho I presume?
Location; Eaglehawk, outside BENDIGO, VIC (3556).Call me; 0411 604 294-- Keep in mind I don't answer "private" calls generally.

#26 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

I do not have a blue wire with green trace, it seems. o_O I have light and dark green together with a black on one plug... I can't find much else, really... Will post a pic of the back of my cluster.

EDIT; Right, I was dumb! I get it now. ... but where do I get the signal from? And do I need power for the tacho or does it come from elsewhere on the cluster?

Edited by TOK-079, 31 December 2006 - 02:25 PM.

#27 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

Yep light green is the signal wire at the back of the tacho. Sorry can't remember the colour of the wire in the engine bay, as its been years since I did my sr swap and tossed the CA20.

Okay I just looked it up in my manual and the light green wire goes to a little black resistor box (described as "tacho resistor" in the manual) in the engine bay and then comes out of that resistor as a blue wire to the ignition coils, (probably the one Dean described earlier)

Edited by gerryb, 31 December 2006 - 02:31 PM.

I hate fat people!!

#28 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, gonna try it now!

#29 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

Shame. No joy. Something's broken...

#30 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

Right -- Because for some reason I can't edit my previous post, just gotta make sure my wiring was correct; 12v in== dark green, signal == light green (from tacho resistor), black == ground?

And is it possible my tacho is burnt out? How hardy are they? Are there any fuses to check if the voltmeter still works? Is it possible the tacho resistor got buggered somehow?

#31 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

Yep that wirings right at the tacho connector.

Few questions to work out where your at.

1. You swapped in a replacement ca20e engine right?

2. Its an s12/Gazelle engine and you just dropped it in and connected it up to the s12/Gazelle wiring?

3. Sorry might sound like a silly question but it doesn't say specifically anywhere - Your trying to get the factory tacho working right?

If yes and yes and yes and your tachos not working. You'll have to:

a. Get a circuit tester light and test that you have a good 12v signal to the tacho when the igntion is on - test across the black and dark green wire.

b. Check that the light green wire is running back to the resistor and the light blue wire runs out of the resistor to the coil(s), with no break in the wire/circuit. If that's okay then see if you can test the light blue wire with your test light.

c. If that's all okay then I'd say you might have f'ked the tacho. I had a dead one so you can short them. I had a spare I replaced it with out of a wreck.

Edited by gerryb, 01 January 2007 - 09:16 AM.

I hate fat people!!

#32 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hey Fester turns out my tacho is connected to the microtech.
Is there a chance my tacho is setup for the V8 that was in it.
I don't think i see more than 2000rpm. Or is my tacho stuffed.
any ideas ???

#33 Fester

Fester

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hey Fester turns out my tacho is connected to the microtech.
Is there a chance my tacho is setup for the V8 that was in it.
I don't think i see more than 2000rpm. Or is my tacho stuffed.
any ideas ???

If the microtech was still set up to run a V8 I doubt the engine would run - for one thing the crank angle sensor input would be completely wrong. If you have a handset its probably worth checking the settings (4-6-8cyl, its on one of the first couple of pages) to be 100% sure (there's never any harm in checking!) but I don't think its very likely.

What model of microtech is it, and do you have or can you get your hands on an oscilloscope?

#34 TOK-079

TOK-079

II

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

Yep that wirings right at the tacho connector.
Few questions to work out where your at.

1. You swapped in a replacement ca20e engine right?

2. Its an s12/Gazelle engine and you just dropped it in and connected it up to the s12/Gazelle wiring?

3. Sorry might sound like a silly question but it doesn't say specifically anywhere - Your trying to get the factory tacho working right?

If yes and yes and yes and your tachos not working. You'll have to:

a. Get a circuit tester light and test that you have a good 12v signal to the tacho when the igntion is on - test across the black and dark green wire.

b. Check that the light green wire is running back to the resistor and the light blue wire runs out of the resistor to the coil(s), with no break in the wire/circuit. If that's okay then see if you can test the light blue wire with your test light.

c. If that's all okay then I'd say you might have f'ked the tacho. I had a dead one so you can short them. I had a spare I replaced it with out of a wreck.

Yes, replacement CA20E from Gazelle with distributor rather than packs, it has a blue wire coming off it and I'm assuming that's it.
Thanks heaps. I owe you a coffee sometime!

#35 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

If the microtech was still set up to run a V8 I doubt the engine would run - for one thing the crank angle sensor input would be completely wrong. If you have a handset its probably worth checking the settings (4-6-8cyl, its on one of the first couple of pages) to be 100% sure (there's never any harm in checking!) but I don't think its very likely.

What model of microtech is it, and do you have or can you get your hands on an oscilloscope?

I meant maybe the tacho may be set for a V8 still, or maybe its stuffed.
The computer is a microtech LT-8.
No i don't have an oscilloscope and to be totally honest i couldn't tell you
what one is or looks like.
:orly:

#36 Fester

Fester

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

I meant maybe the tacho may be set for a V8 still, or maybe its stuffed.
The computer is a microtech LT-8.
No i don't have an oscilloscope and to be totally honest i couldn't tell you
what one is or looks like.
:orly:

Is it an aftermarket tacho? I'd assumed it was the stock gazelle unit. Maybe you said otherwise earlier and I just didn't remember due to my advancing age ;)

An oscilloscope is a (very useful) piece of electronic test gear, good for looking at things like ignition pulse trains.

Whereabouts are you located Kingos?

#37 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:43 PM

Is it an aftermarket tacho? I'd assumed it was the stock gazelle unit. Maybe you said otherwise earlier and I just didn't remember due to my advancing age :orly:

An oscilloscope is a (very useful) piece of electronic test gear, good for looking at things like ignition pulse trains.

Whereabouts are you located Kingos?

Im on the central coast.
It is the stock gazelle tacho, you are doing well, you aren't loosing it.
I thought maybe you could callibrate the actual gauge (my bad).
I have got a spare instrument cluster if i need to use it.
But i really don't want to start pulling that crap out.

#38 Fester

Fester

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

Im on the central coast.
It is the stock gazelle tacho, you are doing well, you aren't loosing it.
I thought maybe you could callibrate the actual gauge (my bad).
I have got a spare instrument cluster if i need to use it.
But i really don't want to start pulling that crap out.

I visit Newcastle occasionally; I could stop by on the way past some time and have a poke around if you want; I'm pretty lazy on the mechanical side of things, but I do understand electronics. I even have a hand-held oscilloscope somewhere, although I haven't turned it on for quite a while so who knows whether it still works...

At this stage I'm pretty sure that your tacho is wired to a single coil, which would explain why its showing 1/4 of the revs. If it is wired to the LT8's tacho output, then it _might_ be the case that the LT8 is able to change how many pulses get sent to the tacho; the MT8 can't do that but the LT8 is the next model up so you never know.

#39 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

I visit Newcastle occasionally; I could stop by on the way past some time and have a poke around if you want; I'm pretty lazy on the mechanical side of things, but I do understand electronics. I even have a hand-held oscilloscope somewhere, although I haven't turned it on for quite a while so who knows whether it still works...

At this stage I'm pretty sure that your tacho is wired to a single coil, which would explain why its showing 1/4 of the revs. If it is wired to the LT8's tacho output, then it _might_ be the case that the LT8 is able to change how many pulses get sent to the tacho; the MT8 can't do that but the LT8 is the next model up so you never know.

Hey mate i know for sure its connected to the microtech. The bloke who wired it up is going to
have a fiddle with it all. If you are passing through drop in for sure. Could maybe organise a SYD - NEWC cruise.

#40 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

Contact 'Fester', he has a microtach in his s12 and has the tacho hooked up and working I think. He is quite good on electronics and the microtech, from memory there is some trick to getting the s12 tach to read accurately with a microtech that he knows, (use the member search facility to find his profile so you can pm him)

Edited by gerryb, 15 January 2007 - 09:19 AM.

I hate fat people!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users