Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Instrument cluster isn't working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi everyone, i've done a ca18det conversion on my s12, wired up the tacho with 4 diodes and yeah,the temp guage off the ecu... Basically my car won't show any signs of life on the guages except for speedo,,, i've double checked my wiring but i still can't get anything out of them.... One thing my car has though is some kind of aftermarket alarm wired in and I'm not sure if that could affect it... so any help would be appreciated,.. And also, how many wires go to the oil pressure sender of the stock s12, mine only has one wire, but It has provisions for 2 and it never had the other one in the first place...
Thanks, Scotty
CA18DET S12 SILVER GAZELLE NOTCH

#2 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Just another thing, My entire dash doesn't work, no ignition lights, and no indicators, lights or wipers. I'm 99% sure its my stupid alarm doing this, so tomorow i'll be ripping it out.... If anyone else has any opinions, that'd be a great help, but i'm pretty certain I got it sorted.
Cheers

#3 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

My dash lights dont work, but i managed to get everything else running sweet. I'd be Double checking that the connections in the back of it have not fallen out. As the Speedo is basicly the only connection that only then needs one of them plugged in, the others need both.

I'm needing to do some wire tracing to work out why my lights dont work. Last time i checked they got 12v... but obviously no earth to complete the circuit.

#4 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

My dash lights dont work, but i managed to get everything else running sweet. I'd be Double checking that the connections in the back of it have not fallen out. As the Speedo is basicly the only connection that only then needs one of them plugged in, the others need both.

I'm needing to do some wire tracing to work out why my lights dont work. Last time i checked they got 12v... but obviously no earth to complete the circuit.

Yeah mate, they are all there, i had the dash out to wire the tacho... Even before my engine swap, every now and again everything electrical would stop, like the tacho, interior light, cd player e.t.c... so yeah, everything is plugged in and it must have a dodgy conector that supplies all power or some other fault.
I'll be having a good look this weekend, Thanks mate

#5 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

Is the junction box still connected correctly?

#6 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

not too sure, i'll have to look on the weekend when I got suitable light, where is it located?

#7 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

drivers foot well just above the accelerator.

#8 Lister

Lister

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

You can run the temp gauge wire from the sender back through the 8 pin connector that was under the original AFM, it has 7 wires in it, Also you may need to check that you have the power input from your battery/starter alternator loom (if your using the S13 one) patched into the original S12 loom as this feeds power to the dash cluster via the SMJ.....(super multiple junction) Maybe i will scan the workshop manual i have and start posting bits and pieces LOL........too much work.....but if you need something special and its only a couple of pages i'll be happy to do it for ya.....
Somehow i've ended up working for Toyota, If you need something special, or you have a friend in need, i'm willing to help. 07 4667 6025...Bloody Toyota's, Only good for keeping you in a job.....

#9 Candellan

Candellan

AUS12 Trader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Name:Candellan
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

S12 WSM (Aussie/Euro) - Various pages of interest including a lot of electrical, mechanical (block), clutch, fuel, etc:
http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

S12 Main Circuit Diagram:
http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

hey, yeah I got the stock s12 alternator loom there, but i'll check its conected anyway, i'm pretty certain I am getting signals at the dash, definately tacho and probably coolant too..., it did it pre conversion anyway, But i'll look at that junction box over the next couple of days to be certain, or failing that i'll trace the wiring back and figure it out.. Thanks for all your help everyone... I should be able to get to the bottom of this. I'll let you know how i go... Cheers, Scott

#11 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

Good luck.

#12 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Ok everyone, I got it sussed out now.. Basically the fuse box had no power, so I traced it back to that stupid box that sits under the washer bottle, then bypassed it,,, Everything now works fine, no drama's at all..., just to be safe though, what is that box anyway??? Thanks everyone for all your help
Cheers, Scotty

#13 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

the relay box?

#14 bumpstopbrawler26

bumpstopbrawler26

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

not sure what it is mate, it just has 2 of the alternator postivive style wires coming out of it, its bolted to the chassis rail directly bellow the washer bottle, everything is still working fine, so i'm not fussed, more worried about my engine seeming to run on 3 cyl.s... more on that tomorrow though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users