Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Few Electrical QUestions

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hey Guys,

I've got a few electrical questions, I know a lot about, not in the car.

I currently have a Direct line to my AMP. however, it's not quite good, it doesn't seem to tight. but if itknocks anyone reckon I might blow my HU?

Next, I want to run a second Battery for my sound and for my cigarette lighter (to run my laptop off through an inverter) Anyone got an Idea on how to do this?

Third, I want to run my Speakers and power to AMP at the back under the car rather then the carpet. Anyone tried this measure, or will I be looking for troublle?

Regards

Keiran
Posted Image

#2 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

I relocated my battery to the boot, with the cable running under the car. Lots of C clamps, run the thing in conduit and had to enlarge the drain hole in the rear panel. to get back inside the car.

No issues there, just run it as close to the rail as possible to avoid damage from speed bumps or the like.

#3 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

I relocated my battery to the boot, with the cable running under the car. Lots of C clamps, run the thing in conduit and had to enlarge the drain hole in the rear panel. to get back inside the car.

No issues there, just run it as close to the rail as possible to avoid damage from speed bumps or the like.

Yeah, Cheers for that, You would happen to have any pics of it?

I am considering running a second battery through the main electrics. As a back up and also to run my Car PC. I'll be running my laptop which will be using less power consumption and a small 8" screen.

Did you just get a set of longer cables for your battery to get to the front, or did you just extend it by soldering additional Cable?

Regards

Keiran
Posted Image

#4 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Sorry, i dont have pics. I'll see what i can do.. but cannot promice anything.
If you follow the brake lines and then follow the floor over the diff (must be tight) and then around the tank on the drivers side, you should be right.

i joined it to the starter motor via cable with an eyelet crimped and shrink wrapped on the end. It wasnt cheap mind you. But my only option as my IC pipe takes up that whole area. Obviously i kept the cable attached to that which powered all the relays etc. Cable ties shrink wrap and electrical tape FTW.

#5 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

HAHA, Yeah, The direct line to my head unit has a spade plug on the positive bolt on the battery, then it is about 10cm long then just electrical taped to the next line direct to the HU. and when I bumped it last night, it shorted out, Good thing my HU is still working after that.

Yeah, i'll get under my car tonight and see when I can lead it, but that's the option for where I could put the second battery, now just knowing if I can connect that battery up to the mains or not.
Posted Image

#6 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

you can run the 2 batteries in parrallel, just not in series (ie 24Volt = not a happy gazelle)

So running a cable from the starter motor will allow you to have them set up. Just use C clamps and self tappers (need to drill a smaller hole initially) every 25 - 30cm the more the better. Run it in conduit of suitable size and all will be sweet.

You'll also need a battery box for the battery... you might be able to fit a PC a converter and a battery in the tire well... just pray you dont get a flat ;)

#7 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, The thing is, I have to conserve as much speace I can above the seats and in the boot. (Gota Fit my drums in)

I have to ri[ out the carpet in the boot anyway, So i will get an idea for space. power inverters arn't to big these days.

Does anyone know If it is worth running the power inverter for my laptop and Screen off my main battery?
Posted Image

#8 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

Good idea to do so... but if they are that small you could mount it in the passenger foot well:p

You'd be able to fit everything in easy. custom boot floor FTW ;)

#9 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

ok, At this point, I bought a another Cigarette plug for behind my HU to run my power inverter, my mate said just to run it all off the one battery as it shouldn't go flat. he hasn't had his go flat running it this way, So I assume it shouldn't be an issue.

The next thing.

I installed my sub, Got RCA all runing through, I will pull out all the console and carpet to run it through properly on thursday when i have the day off. however, I have hit a small issue. I can't find a hole to put my power through the Firewall. the power has the Fuse box on it aswell. Does anyone know where about is a hole is big enough to fit a fuse concealment through? The power line is running down the drivers side. I am considering undoing all the work I just did and put the other end throigh from the engine to the back. as it is slightly smaller. it's only a 6 pin molex connection, but quite significantly smaller.

if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Posted Image

#10 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

Your fuse holder should be as close to the battery as possible, therefore should not have to go thru the firewall. When i did mine I cut a slit in one of the grommets on the firwall and fed it thru there, looks neat as. THe gromet your looking for is high on the drivers side of the firewall.
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#11 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Depends on how pro you wanna go.

You can remove the drivers quaterter panel and follow the engine bay cabling in the wheel arch.

or (the easy way)

As above and use the slit grommet method

You wont need a second battery if...
1. You have a large deep cycle battery or high quality
2. You dont run your sound system with the car turned off for any considerable length of time.

Amps, Subs and general electricals can drain the battery heaps without the alternators help. (thats in my car anyway)

#12 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Your fuse holder should be as close to the battery as possible, therefore should not have to go thru the firewall. When i did mine I cut a slit in one of the grommets on the firwall and fed it thru there, looks neat as. The gromet your looking for is high on the drivers side of the firewall.

I am concidering instead of going from the boot to the engine to go from the engine to the boot, It is probably a much simpler way to do it. but I just need to find time. Is there an easy way to get the wiring through under the carpet, or just pull off the door skirting and rip the carpet up from there?

Cheers
Posted Image

#13 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

To run the wire under the carpet properly, you want to take out all your seats and seat belt buckles on the tranny tunnel, then lift up the carpet from the door skirt.
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#14 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, I was expecting something like that. However, the one thing I have some across is the back seat. I found that it was held on by hooks, is there simple way to putting the seats back on the hooks? I've found that I need to bend it in order to get it off and back on the hook.
Posted Image

#15 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:56 PM

Happens with all the lower parts of the seat... (does with both of mine anyway)

Upper, the hooks hold on the seat in the coupe and the screws keep them from coming back up. Hatch you'll need to ask someone else as i'm having issues with mine.

#16 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

Mines Coupe, Which you have seen. However, the hatch should be easier if you run the cable through the side, which is what I am doing, I'm not actually running it under the seat.
Posted Image

#17 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

You can run it through. Not that hard either. There just needs to be "protection" from the metal. The back just has an X frame there and the boot lining behind the upper part of the back seat.

#18 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

i just did mine down the middle took the center console off and put the wires under the carpet and then under the rear seat was simple as can be

#19 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

I was talking about a hatch sorry, in that the bum section of the seat just clips in and out by pushing or pulling. You dont have to remove the back section of the seat, just slip it underneath it.

#20 kj0

kj0

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I just spent an hour tfrying to force this line through the firewall. There is a rubber grommet behind the Drivers side Strut, The previous owner put a line through that goes direct from the battery to the HU, and I thought I could follow that through, but seems that my cable is about 5 times the size, so I made a mess of it by making a slit in it to follow through. there is a batch of cables that seem to stop it going through somehow?

is it easier going from the Driver Footwell or from the engine in?

A pic would be good of which grommet you are talking about if you can get one.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users