Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Buzzing Speakers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

Just re ran my wires for my stereo and i am still getting the buzzing/whinning noise through my speakers.
It does whine with the revs.
Where am i going wrong?

I have an amp mounted to my back seat and my battery is in the boot in the back corner of the passenger side.
I have the amp running all four speakers. Splits at the front and 6x9's in the back.
The remote wire from the headunit is running down the centre of the car.
The speaker wires are running down both sides of the car.
The RCA's from the headunit are running next to the left side speaker wires on the left side of the car.
The power wire runs directly from the battery.
The Earth/Ground wire is connected to a screw that holds a bracket in place.
I filed the metal back under the screw.

Here is a rough diagram, shonky as i know!
Posted Image

Remote wire
RCA's
Speaker Wire
Power
Earth/Ground

Edited by Kingos, 30 March 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#2 Vlad

Vlad

Disco Nugget

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Name:Vladimir
  • Car:JZX90 Chaser

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

If you have another AMP that you are able to swap around with be it a friends or whatever do that and see if it still does it. Or your head unit maybe have loose wires. Also have a look at your RCA's and make sure there all plugged in properly, along with still being intact (if it was fed under the carpet and not really done properly may end up rubbing against sharp edges and cause the rubber to get cut and yea..) you get the point. But umm, see how that all goes and let me know. If its still playing up I'll have a chat with a mate of mine next time i see him.

Subliminal Message Inside..

dorigazu power.. IGNITION DVD FAIL says:when it rains i cant demistso i drive with windows down and a towelplease think of me lol

#3 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

Separate the main power lead (from your battery) from the speaker wires. The speakers are getting interferance from the alternator.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#4 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

I just re ran the wires Vlad, they aren't freyed or damaged.

They aren't really together Dean, the RCA and speaker wires are together. The main power plugs in the same side of the amp as the speakers but thats as close as they get.

#5 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

RCA and trigger wire should be together, not best to have the RCAs running next to the speaker wire afaik
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#6 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

RCA and trigger wire should be together, not best to have the RCAs running next to the speaker wire afaik

Ok will move those.

Also i read on nissansilvia.com that it could be my ground.
Is it safe to ground the amp back throught the negative battery terminal.

#7 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

I guess.

I just used one of the seat mount bolts with my system I had in my Barina. But since your battery would be closer, you could use that.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#8 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:38 PM

Yeah i used the seat mount bolts in my corolla's, but that was with the amp mounted under the seat.
So yeah the battery is definately closer. Will try it tommorow.
Along with moving the RCA's away from the speaker wire.

#9 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Where's the cable for the battery running to the starter motor?

That will most likely be the root cause of the issue. Any cable running from the amp and battery to the alternator will cause buzzing if located anywhere near speaker cable, that being feed to the amp or to the speakers.

#10 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

i used the seat mount in the back of my s12 hatch to gound mine too

i didnt even think about interefernce wwen i wired in my sub/amp the other week just lucky that i thread the sub/amp wires up the opposite side on the center console to my speakers ones lol

#11 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:52 AM

Where's the cable for the battery running to the starter motor?

That will most likely be the root cause of the issue. Any cable running from the amp and battery to the alternator will cause buzzing if located anywhere near speaker cable, that being feed to the amp or to the speakers.

Underneath the car.

#12 Candellan

Candellan

AUS12 Trader

• Members
  • 1,052 posts
  • Name:Candellan
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

Redo your amp earth back to the battery with a heavy grade cable. If the problem persists ou have a ground loop in your RCAs. Buy a ground loop eliminator or buy good quality shielded RCA leads and connect the shield wire to an earth at the head unit end ONLY.

Running speaker wires and RCAs together isn't as big a problem as the main 12V DC leads as you don't have anywhere near the voltage.
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

Running the starter motor cable under the car, depending how close it is to the wires, is my best guess at what is causing the interferance. Nice work on picking that one up gadget!
<a href="http://www.s12silvia...showtopic=1525" target="_blank">Project12</a> WRITTEN OFF 1/1/2010 <a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">Notchy Turbo!</a> CA18DET 160rwkw+<a href=http://www.s12silvia.com/community/index.php?showtopic=5419 target="_blank">S13 Daily Drifter!</a> CA18DE, locked low Toyo R1R Bride Vios 3 Low Max Greddy Coilovers solid everything

#14 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

It was something i'd discovered a few times after many years of installing sound systems in sh** boxes. :P

I just use the chassis as earth and just make sure all the connections are good / used wire bush to get nice clean metal.

#15 Kingos

Kingos

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

Its not the earth/ground just connected it back to the battery and its the same.

I have tried a noise filter and that didn't do jack sh**.

#16 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

y do you put the earth onto the battery wouldnt that make it a permanant power = no earth at all ?

next guess would be the amp speaker or head unit them selves try putting the speakers straight to the headunit if theres no buzz its probly the amp

#17 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

^ I think he may have run his battery to starter motor cable right near one of the Head Unit to amp cables.

He's done the right thing in terms of seperateing the cables thus far, but forgot about the main cable that will be powering the whole system once the car is running :lol:

Lettus know how you go.

#18 Dave

Dave

X

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Thats what i was thinking too, seperate the engine bay power cable and the RCAs and you should be good to go :lol: You can run the main power cable near the speaker wires, as they arent really susceptible to induced noise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users