Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlights wont go down

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

When I bought my gazelle, I had a problem with one light out when the hi beams turned on. Anyway, replaced the indicator stalk, and fixed that problem.

Then I installed a stereo, and I fu**ed it up by putting the earth wire onto one of the dash light wires (which is black with a white stripe ), which is a easy mistake as it tests as a earth when the lights are off.

So I was continually blowing fuses whenever I turned the lights on. Anyway, fixed the earth, and now thats all fine...

BUT, now I cant seem to drop the popup lights down?

The lights turn on and off fine, the motors are fine, they just wont go down (unless the battery runs completely flat OR I pull out the fuse to the computer and let it reset).

Can anyone tell me what i've done? Have I broken the circuit for the dash lights somehow and this is stopping it from going down?

I have already replaced the dash switch which pops them up and down, no luck...

Any suggestions?

#2 Vlad

Vlad

Disco Nugget

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Name:Vladimir
  • Car:JZX90 Chaser

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

check your switch for the pop up lights, i had a similar problem with my other
gazelle, its the one on the dash, next to the steering wheel if u dont know ;)
and umm you could disconnect the battery and wind the lights down yourself..
not sure if they will go down next time u pop em u though

Subliminal Message Inside..

dorigazu power.. IGNITION DVD FAIL says:when it rains i cant demistso i drive with windows down and a towelplease think of me lol

#3 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:40 PM

Try another stalk, Martin.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#4 FLY PSI

FLY PSI

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

^^^^ thats probably my problem, but meh, i probably wont fix it till they dont work at all. my lights also turn off when i try and use my hi beams ;)

damn im lazy :D
There's something about Drift............Posted Image

#5 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

In reply to post 1 -> I have already replaced that switch, same problem.

Dean - > I had to replace the stalk originally with the one thats on it, got a second hand one from pick n pay off a SGL, just had to cut and solder the original plug on (to remove the dimming of the lights cause it doesn't have that technology).

It was working fine until I decided to play auto electrician and hook up the wire to the dash light thingo.

Ash, your problem is definitely the stalk, you can pull the rear cover off them and clean it, will most likely help.

Back to Dean, you mentioned in another post about R31 stalks? any mods needed to fit them?

Might go to pick n steal and grab one to test, but I still have a strong feeling its one of the wires I cut in the process of installing the stezza. :D

#6 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

R31 stalks drop straight in, and that includes the wiper one, too.

Only problem is, you have to pop the lights up with the switch on the dash, as the R31 stalk doesn't use the extra plug on the column that the S12 one does.

If you can, knock off a later model (targa top version) EXA stalk. If you can get that one to pop the lights up automatically, we're winning :D

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#7 S12-FVR

S12-FVR

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

Theres an 'emergency' way of opening and closing your headlights in your S12 owners manual if that helps...
Posted ImageHomer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!Homer: Explain how!Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!Homer: Woo-hoo!

#8 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:53 PM

Theres an 'emergency' way of opening and closing your headlights in your S12 owners manual if that helps...

Oh yeah? whats that? im not sure I have the same manual...

#9 S12-FVR

S12-FVR

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:02 AM

I'll copy it or take pictures today if i get the chance. :)
Posted ImageHomer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!Homer: Explain how!Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!Homer: Woo-hoo!

#10 Candellan

Candellan

AUS12 Trader

• Members
  • 1,052 posts
  • Name:Candellan
  • Car:Nissan Gazelle
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

I have a similar problem. My lights were staying up but my auto leccy got them working by bypassing the "passing replay" (still don't know what it really does) that sits behind the passenger headlight. Basically there are 5 relays to move the lights (damn Nissan & their complex 80's designs). I found the passing replay had a blown resistor. I grabbed another relay but it has the same problem.

I'll keep you updated on my progress & we can hopefully shed some light in the subject (sorry someone had to make the joke).

Edited by Candellan, 10 October 2006 - 12:22 PM.

RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

I think the passing relay is supposed to flip them up and down off the high-beam circuit, like you would when you warn others of Police presence <_<

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#12 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

Sounds like a "oh fuk" switch

#13 Grubby

Grubby

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

When I bought my gazelle, I had a problem with one light out when the hi beams turned on. Anyway, replaced the indicator stalk, and fixed that problem.

Then I installed a stereo, and I fu**ed it up by putting the earth wire onto one of the dash light wires (which is black with a white stripe ), which is a easy mistake as it tests as a earth when the lights are off.

So I was continually blowing fuses whenever I turned the lights on. Anyway, fixed the earth, and now thats all fine...
BUT, now I cant seem to drop the popup lights down?

The lights turn on and off fine, the motors are fine, they just wont go down (unless the battery runs completely flat OR I pull out the fuse to the computer and let it reset).

Can anyone tell me what i've done? Have I broken the circuit for the dash lights somehow and this is stopping it from going down?

I have already replaced the dash switch which pops them up and down, no luck...

Any suggestions?

I seem to be having the same problem, my story is almost exactly the same.

I put my stereo from the last car in today and probably earthed out in a bad spot and blew some fuses or something, to cut things short, all of my dash and interior lights dont work, lights stay up, left headlight dosent work, and the headlight switch also does nadda.

I feel like crying......

#14 Vlad

Vlad

Disco Nugget

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

i was having this issue, just recently until dad solved it, in the engine bay the black box that houses the information (chip or watever) was damaged... mine had a hole in the box and was damaged by water, and it had some cracks through the chip, maybe go to the wreckers and see if u can pick up one of the boxes and see if that fixes the problem, i now have to get myself another one for my other coupe cause we just took it out of that one lol :P hope this helps!

Edited by Vlad, 12 March 2007 - 09:33 PM.

dorigazu power.. IGNITION DVD FAIL says:when it rains i cant demistso i drive with windows down and a towelplease think of me lol

#15 Lister

Lister

VII

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

There are two main relays that get damaged when fitting the stereo using the lighting earth,(extremely Common problem even for SO called expert stereo fitters), The Passing relay passenger side with i think a 7 or 8 pin plug and the headlamp sensing relay that sits between the Battery and the radiator support (has a sticker on it that says " Headlamp Sensing" both of these will have damage after the aforsaid wiring fault....
Somehow i've ended up working for Toyota, If you need something special, or you have a friend in need, i'm willing to help. 07 4667 6025...Bloody Toyota's, Only good for keeping you in a job.....

#16 Pistonfreak

Pistonfreak

FJ20 GURU

• 1,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Martin
I'd have a unit you can have to see if it solves the problem
Just grab it next time your down my way
Posted Image

#17 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

Sounds good Brian :P Just let me know what its worth and i'll come grab it when you have a spare minute.

cheers mate

#18 Vlad

Vlad

Disco Nugget

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

so disconnecting the battery when fitting the stereo would help prevent this issue? or can it fu** up when u plug it in after u connected it all?

#19 Pistonfreak

Pistonfreak

FJ20 GURU

• 1,202 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

Martin
You can have it. Don't worry about money
I'll get it out tonight after work and send you a PM
Posted Image

#20 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Vlad not using the light earth wire for the stereo would solve it, instead earthing the stereo to the body somewhere.
I hate fat people!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users