Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Headlights won't go down

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

When I got the car off Pedro, he told me the headlights wouldn't go down. I thought I could figure a way to put a switch in or fix it or something.

I think I recall something about an R31 indicator stalk being fitted and hence the problem with the headlights.

So I had a bit of a play today- \buggered if I can work it out.

I found that the little switch on the dash that turns the headlights up and down must be busted.

I shorted the wires - since switch not working.

The headlights go down - but then come up again and then keep on going up and down , until I un-short the wires.

It's like the headlights don't know when they are down so keep cycling.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

#2 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

wire it up how it was supposed to with the switch. and replace the button.

It might have been warn down over time, either that or the sensor that tells it what hight it's at is busted.

that would be funny to look at tho :blink:

#3 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Yeah - if I replace the switch it will just keep cycling thru - (but i will replace anyway)

Where do I find this sensor that determines height ??

#4 Pedro

Pedro

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Yeah - if I replace the switch it will just keep cycling thru - (but i will replace anyway)

Where do I find this sensor that determines height ??

It's not the dash switch, I already tried replacing that, no dice. The indicator stalk is from a SGL gazelle, thats not the issue either.

If you disconnect and reconnect the battery the lights will go down, so there is a break in the circuit somewhere, and resetting the electrics solves it.

I reckon remove the stereo and start checking the wiring there. Originally i wired the earth on the stereo to a black dash light wire (as they test as a earth when the lights are off), n00b mistake but oh well. Lights didnt dip after that.

I also replaced the headlight module at the front, no luck there either. I reckon the circuit is broken for those small dash lights that come with the original fm radio, thats where I'd start looking.

#5 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

that would explain the headlight not goin down and the radio not working :blink:

#6 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

Took the stereo out - Found a plug that had one wire cut - connected the wire back - but damned if I can find what it plugs in to.

Can't see any other obvious cut wires or plugless plugs.

Pedro - can you recall what needs to go back ? I can see the speaker wires and where they go - but can't seem to work out the power, accessory and ground wires and where they need to go back to !

Anyone got a wiring diagram with wire colours ???

#7 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:37 PM

have you tried undoin the current earth on the radio and a) trying the lights and ;) re wirign to a real earth and cheacking both things?

from wat pedro says it sounds like his earth mixup is causing the problem

#8 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:10 PM

Will do tomorrow - am spending the day on the car -

Cut the rust out of the rear sil (not much) and fibreglassed it up - now to sand back and paint

Plus - fix the headlights

#9 Fury-S12

Fury-S12

Tasmanian Mod

• 1,689 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

let us no how it turns out man

#10 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

No luck - I removed the old stereo and looked to where the wires go back to standard - but can't work it out.

There is one plug there that I re joined - don't know where it goes - perhaps to the back of the old stereo - it's GND and IGN wired.

Thought it may have something to do with the clock as that had stopped working too - but that was easy fixed - it was un plugged.

Tested the headlamp up / down switch and it works.

I know the lights can go down as if I short the wires that go to the switch (the wrong way - ie not the way the switch intends to close the circuit) the lights will cycle up and down until I un-short .

Might have to take it to the auto sparky as I am getting no-where with this.

It's not as if it's even a big deal - the lights still go on so I can drive at night.

I just want them to go down cause it's shitting me ha ha ha

I looked at the circuit diagram for the S12 and too complex for me -

I'll give it one more crack today.

Pedro - there is a switch on the dash - a pull on/off one fitted after market - do you know what that does or did ?

Also there seems to be a fuse missing in the fuse box - but someome has wired another fuse into the circuit with a yellow wire and inline fuse (old type glass fuse) - Do you know what happened there.

And one more general question - what's the white thing near the ashtray that is mounted to the stereo/ahstray frame ?

And last but not least - if I were to bypass all the factory wiring and relays for the headlighgt up/down switch and rewire - where would I tap in to in the engine bay as close the the headlamp motors as possible ? Is it just a matter of running 12V to a relay or point on the motors to make them go down ? Cause if it is, then I am happy to run new wiring , switch and relay to get these working.

ta

Brendan

#11 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:03 PM

F I X E D

woot

#12 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

Well done the I am not bad at wiring but would balk at messing with the headlights.
I hate fat people!!

#13 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

and the solution was?

#14 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:10 AM

Well - When I say fixed..... the headlights go down now.

Not knowing which relay was which - I pulled each relay until I found the one that supplied power to the h'lamp motors .

First, I swapped out the relay - same thing - no go down

What I discovered was that, if I pulled the relay - with the h'lamp up/down switch in off position, the lights would go down. But only if I pulled it then put it back - so breaking power to the lamp motors then putting it back got them down - sounds like a stuck relay - but I did swap it before. This also goes with Pedro's discovery that if he pulled the battery out for a bit then put it back the lights would go down.

So I wired in another switch that cuts the NC part of the realy, simulating taking the relay out. So now I have a switch in the cabin - all I do is flick it off the on and the lights go down.

Not fixed properly - but good enough for me - the lights go down now. I'm happy :P

PS - Why the hell did nissan put all those relays in such an awkward spot - bloody hell - what a drama - had to take the battery out - put it on the floor - run jumper leads from the battery to the terminals in the engine bay - just to be able to get at those relays and sh** behind the battery. Oh well - I now know where the lamp light relays, horn relays etc are now.

Put new rear speakers in - pioneer 3 ways - in the back - also put new Monroe HQ shocks in the rear - cleaned surface rust off the hatch rear floor, rust proofed, primed and painted hatch floor whist everything was out.

And finally - put new Kenwood CD/MP3 player in - yay now I have radio and music -

What a big day !

Project S12 is coming along nicely.

Now - cause the rear is lowered and wheels spaced out 8mm the tyres are scrubbing slightly when going over bumps - need to roll the rear guards

Edited by B-Man, 24 August 2007 - 05:19 AM.

#15 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

nice work!

You can always use the method described in the other thread for "rolling guards" with a baseball bat :P

having tune's can make a good drive great, i'm sure ur already wanting more and better speakers tho :P

#16 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

FIXED PROPERLY NOW

It was two burn't out diodes in the timer module - sh** that took a long time to work out

#17 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

From August last year in fact!

Well done! Who's your auto elec? They have alot of patience and well... time. :)

#18 B-Man

B-Man

V

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

It's actually the guys that did the FJ transplant - they are FANTASTIC.

The headlights were bugging him - so he asked me to buy a genuine nissan workshop manual - so I got one from pitstop books
The manuals are very comprehensive - and allowed him to track down the problem to component level.

Highly recomend these guys -

BROOKVALE MUFFLERS AND MECHANICAL - ROGER ST, BROOKVALE - Contact : Andrew

This guys is pure genius - you should see what he has done to my Gaz :) :) :) Pics to come :)

Edited by B-Man, 21 February 2008 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users