Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Digital Dash

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Name:Matty
  • Car:Full White RS-X
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi guys,

I want to attempt to get my digital dash all wired up and working as it should be. At the moment I have the Speedometer working (But is way off, therefore I use an Apexi RSM for this), the fuel guage, voltage, oil pressure, trip meter and odometer.

Not working is the tacho, water temp, and boost pressure.

To start with I would like to get the tacho working. I know that this wiring diagram tells me where I should wire up the singal wire, but I have no idea how to translate this and read it.

Posted Image

I am guessing that I wire the tacho signal to 4 or 5 (or both?)

If anybody could tell me all the numbers of what should go where, that would be sweet.

Cheers,

Matty.

Edited by castle, 17 July 2007 - 07:36 PM.

#2 crap-S12

crap-S12

III

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

Do you have a diagram of the original dash's wiring? You should be able to use the two together to figure out what to join to what. This is what I did when I wired my E-manage Ultimate into my GSR, made it very easy.

Cheers

#3 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

Original dash?

The digital dash is the original dash. And that is a wiring diagram of the digital dash.

Edited by castle, 17 July 2007 - 09:06 PM.

#4 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Matt just about to kip, I'll have a look in the morn and let you know.
I hate fat people!!

#5 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:35 PM

Ok, this is gonna take some electronics nouse, as the tacho will require diodes, etc to be wired in from the coilpacks.

For the boost gauge, you require the original boost sensor that came with the CA18ET, and has to be wired in, accordingly.

For the water temp, you need to find out if the temp sensor on the SR20 has the same internal resitance as the S12 one (CA20 temp sensor should theoretically be the same as a CA18ET one). If so, you can tap into the temp sensor wire, and run it to the wire that goes to the cluster. If not, then you can use a T-piece, that accomodates both sensors, and run the wire from the sensor for the cluster, to the cluster.

The diagram is quite simple to translate. Where it shows the two plugs, the numbers on each plug correspond to a wire. Basically, if you look at the back side of the plug, the right way up (The side the wires are coming out of, with the locking clip to the top), you should be able to match some colours up. If you have the workshop manual, Matty, it will help a feck-load. But, if you have the same version as me, you wont have that page in it. I'd say that page is in a suppliment.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#6 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

Ok, this is gonna take some electronics nouse, as the tacho will require diodes, etc to be wired in from the coilpacks.For the boost gauge, you require the original boost sensor that came with the CA18ET, and has to be wired in, accordingly.For the water temp, you need to find out if the temp sensor on the SR20 has the same internal resitance as the S12 one (CA20 temp sensor should theoretically be the same as a CA18ET one). If so, you can tap into the temp sensor wire, and run it to the wire that goes to the cluster. If not, then you can use a T-piece, that accomodates both sensors, and run the wire from the sensor for the cluster, to the cluster.The diagram is quite simple to translate. Where it shows the two plugs, the numbers on each plug correspond to a wire. Basically, if you look at the back side of the plug, the right way up (The side the wires are coming out of, with the locking clip to the top), you should be able to match some colours up. If you have the workshop manual, Matty, it will help a feck-load. But, if you have the same version as me, you wont have that page in it. I'd say that page is in a suppliment.

Ok...

I have the tacho signal going into my RSM at the moment. Can I not use this signal and wire it straight to the dash? If not, I have the diodes setup still soldered in on my coilpacks, I can wire that up to the dash instead.

Still confused as to where in the plug I wire the tacho signal though? I have no idea when it comes to electrical diagrams. Is it wire 4 or 5 on the plug to splice into?

With the boost sensor, I realise I need a unit to convert to the electrical signal. How would I know if the car still has the original CA18ET unit in it, where would I look?

Temp gauge I will look at doing later, I have an aftermarket gauge I may be wiring in.

Cheers for the help Dean,

Matty.

#7 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

I would suggest using the diode setup. As for which wire, it would depend on their colour. Judging by the diagram, both appear to be signal wires.

As for the boost switch, according to the workshop manual, it is in the back LH corner of the engine bay.

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#8 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:30 AM

the tacho signal needs to be very strong. Your current setup from the ECU will NOT be stong enough to work.

I have done the tacho method and works a treat.

I think there was a Pinned info thread on it. If not, i might create one.

Use a multi-meter to work out which side is earth as the other will be the signal in. Thats the wire you then have the joining diodes go to.

I doubled up on the diodes (from each signal wire) to ensure that if one busts the tacho wont go out of whack!

I also put them in a clear tube in the engine bay and ran the single wire into the cabin and joined it to the junction box, so i can still fully remove the dash. I just did a wire trace from behind the cluster to the dash side of the junctioin box to determine where it plugged into.

#9 gadget1382

gadget1382

Go Go Gadget... Gazelle?

• 3,225 posts
  • Location:Croydon, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Name:Gadget
  • Car:Nissan all the way

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:38 AM

i did the same sort of thing for the water temp, but traced the wire from the engine loom to near the ECU to save on wiring :(

#10 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

Matt I have a US version workshop manual for 1985 s12's it includes wiring for digi dash I'll look at it for wiring colours and get bak to you, (wiring colours are much easier to work with than numbers).
I hate fat people!!

#11 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

Tacho - the wire you want from the connector is Light Green in position 4, 2 or 3 places out from the middle of the connector, if you have the US market w/shop manual the page you want to look at is EL-66. (Be careful as there is another light green wire for the speedo sensor which is in position 9, in the middle of the wiring onnector)

I traced the wire along, and the signal works in the same way as the non digi dash ca20e cars, taking its signal from the distributor. So what you need to do is use your feed from your diodes connected to this wire and it should work fine.
I hate fat people!!

#12 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Temp guage - very simple, same as ca20e sr/ca18 converted cars. Find your sr ecu external white plug, (just beside the sr ECU). In this plug will be a blue wire with a black stripe this is the temp signal from the ECU, I have my s12 guage hooked up to this and it works perfectly.

So from the connector at the back of your dash is a purple wire with a white stripe, (position 12), splice a wire to this run it to the blue/black wire at your white plug from the sr ECU, and connect it to the blue/black wire.

Looking at the digi dash wiring all the magic is done inside the instrument panel, the external wiring is the same, (only exception appears to be the electronic speedo)

PM me your number now if you like, (10.00am onwards I'll be around for a while).

What dean said for your boost guage, I see EXA turbos (N12's I think they are) have dash boost guages too, so if you really wanted it to work if you found one of those at a U-pull they may have a compatible sensor. I wouldn't bother though as it appears they only go up to 4 or 5 psi - worthless really, but I guess its nice to have everything working.

Oldmans12 (Pete) has one of those he may have a spare he may sell you for cheap if you ask him nicely in a pm.

Edited by gerryb, 18 July 2007 - 09:49 AM.

I hate fat people!!

#13 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

Is the speedo running off the SR speedo sender in the g/box ?

You sold the ca18et motor to Jareth right? Was this with the box as a well? Ask Jareth what was done with the speed sensor from the box as it would have been changed out for a cable type sender to suit the Aus type speedo.

Boost sensor might still be on this motor also, I know he's sold it on but new owner might be amenable to giving this up for a small fee as its useless to him. The hole in the manifold can be blocked off with a brass blank, availbale for a couple of dollars from an non useless parts place.

Otherwise you may need to get onto the yank forums and see if you can find someone whose wrecking a ca18et s12, wouldn't cost much to post over the speedo sender for the g/box and the boost sender.

Edited by gerryb, 18 July 2007 - 10:03 AM.

I hate fat people!!

#14 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

Matty mentioned that he has an Apexi RSM hooked up, to give him a speedo reading. This requires a speedo signal from the gearbox. Which basically means he has the electric speedo sender in the g/box. Whether it's compatible or not, is a different story.

Matty, you might wanna get in touch with Ash, and find out if everything was working before he did the conversion. That way, you know everything should work, after you've hooked everything up.

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#15 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yeah I figured that, but also figured the sr speed sensor isn't giving the right signal for the digi dash. Just wondering how the s12 speedo is hooked up to the sensor - direct to it or through the output from the sr ECU?

With speedo senders and the like its a matter of voltage matching and also signal type, e.g pulse etc. I guess you need to test what type of signal the speedo needs, and at what voltage. The s12 digital dash also incorporates a voltage unit, which converts voltages into ranges of 6.5v and 5 volt. Makes it all tricky.

Matty mentioned that he has an Apexi RSM hooked up, to give him a speedo reading. This requires a speedo signal from the gearbox. Which basically means he has the electric speedo sender in the g/box. Whether it's compatible or not, is a different story.

Matty, you might wanna get in touch with Ash, and find out if everything was working before he did the conversion. That way, you know everything should work, after you've hooked everything up.

Edited by gerryb, 18 July 2007 - 04:20 PM.

I hate fat people!!

#16 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:14 PM

The speedo works on the dash. I just don't use it, because it is out by a fair bit due to wheel and tyre size. I use the RSM for speed, as it adjusts speed based on wheel sizes. So don't need to get this running.

For the tacho...

Tried the signal from the ECU that was going to the RSM, wired it to spot 4 on the plug. No luck.

Ran a wire from the diode setup off the coilpacks, to the cluster, and wired it to number 4 (which wasnt a light green wire). This caused the car to not start when I tried.

Tried the wire from the diodes then to the light green wire (thought I'd try, as you said it should be a light green wire) which was on position 8 on the plug. This caused the boost guage to go up and down with the revs.

Does this mean I am just going to have to try all the wires until it goes? Doest seem like the wires are in the same spots on the plug in that diagram.
Oh, and I ran the self checking program that is mentioned in the service manual, and the tacho works all good, all the lights work.

Edited by castle, 20 July 2007 - 03:19 PM.

#17 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Got the wiring colours diagram it here its got light green going into socket 4, strange as light green is the signal for non turbo's also. Anyway I'll scan it in, much easier to understand than the number only diagram. Never had any problems with the diode method before.

Can you see any light green wires going into the back of the plug at the back of the instrument panel?

Also your diodes are all wired the right way around so that power is flowing out?

sr ECU signal won't work for the s12 tacho as it doesn't put ot enough 'juice' to run it.

Anyway I'll scan the diagram now.
I hate fat people!!

#18 castle

castle

1 of 90

• XII
  • 1,203 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

yeah, the diodes are facing the right way. the wire zapped me when i touched it.

#19 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

Oh yeah they're working right then! I've scanned the diagram,just got to add it here.
I hate fat people!!

#20 gerryb

gerryb

X

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

mm its to big to post here. pm me your email address and I'll email it to you.
I hate fat people!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users