Welcome to S12Silvia.com Community

Hey there! We've noticed you are a Guest. Why not register with S12Silvia.com to take full advantage of our many features.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the XII revolution by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Upload images to posts or our community gallery
  • Customize your experience here
Click here to sign up now!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alternator wiring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ozchuck

Ozchuck

Super-Awesome Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi fellas,

I'm getting the feeling a CA18DET alternator has a different kinda setup to the CA20 one...

My alternator doesnt work, and I'm thinking its not even hooked up right...

There are 2 dual pin plugs on my car loom, one has a big rubber bootie over it.
The other one is bare, and is plugged into my alternater...
There are also 2 black wires that are attached to the side and back of the alternater, which i assume are the right way around, because of the fittings, they only fit the one way.

But that second plug could also plug into the alternator, perhaps?

I'm starting to think maybe i only have the Voltmeter plug in, and the actual power plug is loose and floating around free, as the s13 never came with a voltmeter.

Could that be the case?
If not, any other ideas?

Also, a problem that may be related is about the same time my alternator stopped working, my lights decided to not go up anymore... they went down fine, but not back up again. they also stopped turning on right.

Then it went to a mechanic, and the mechanic seeemed to kill the ability for them to go down and left them on manual up for the roadworthy.
The mechanic also said my thermos had burned out, and they took the fan relay with them.
The battery was dead as a result.

I think at this point the alternator may have been still working, as we jumped it and it started fine (afterwards if you try to jump it it doesnt store enough charge to keep te fuel pump running and stuff)

On the way home i was pulled over and the battery was dead, so maybe it wasnt working right afterall?

I changed the battery, but maybe i put it on wrong as the main fuse burnt out at that point and caught on fire. That got replaced

I dont know if it was before or after this, but when it was dark I noticed that the lights didnt always come right on/off under ignition mode.
The car would have to be started, and i would have to rev it in order to get the interior lights and headlights etc to come on.
still do.
Like, once the car boosts it somehow finds the power, and you hear a relay click and then everything comes back on again.

So because this isnt a simple "car cuts out on battery disconnect" case, I thought maybe I should ask some s12 owners before I have to go and get an alternator.

I've been planning to for quite some time, but the fact the car randomly loses power has kept me from wandering long distances to fetch things. if it is a simple plug or relay then it should be easy, no?
Posted ImageMATTHEW - S12 Gazelle - THE NISSAN KE70!S12GAZELLE.COM - AUS12.ORG - CLUB-S12.ORG <- Lets all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry icecream

#2 Gazelle D

Gazelle D

IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hi fellas,

I'm getting the feeling a CA18DET alternator has a different kinda setup to the CA20 one...

My alternator doesnt work, and I'm thinking its not even hooked up right...

There are 2 dual pin plugs on my car loom, one has a big rubber bootie over it.
The other one is bare, and is plugged into my alternater...
There are also 2 black wires that are attached to the side and back of the alternater, which i assume are the right way around, because of the fittings, they only fit the one way.

But that second plug could also plug into the alternator, perhaps?

I'm starting to think maybe i only have the Voltmeter plug in, and the actual power plug is loose and floating around free, as the s13 never came with a voltmeter.

Could that be the case?
If not, any other ideas?

Also, a problem that may be related is about the same time my alternator stopped working, my lights decided to not go up anymore... they went down fine, but not back up again. they also stopped turning on right.

Then it went to a mechanic, and the mechanic seeemed to kill the ability for them to go down and left them on manual up for the roadworthy.
The mechanic also said my thermos had burned out, and they took the fan relay with them.
The battery was dead as a result.

I think at this point the alternator may have been still working, as we jumped it and it started fine (afterwards if you try to jump it it doesnt store enough charge to keep te fuel pump running and stuff)

On the way home i was pulled over and the battery was dead, so maybe it wasnt working right afterall?

I changed the battery, but maybe i put it on wrong as the main fuse burnt out at that point and caught on fire. That got replaced
I dont know if it was before or after this, but when it was dark I noticed that the lights didnt always come right on/off under ignition mode.
The car would have to be started, and i would have to rev it in order to get the interior lights and headlights etc to come on.
still do.
Like, once the car boosts it somehow finds the power, and you hear a relay click and then everything comes back on again.

So because this isnt a simple "car cuts out on battery disconnect" case, I thought maybe I should ask some s12 owners before I have to go and get an alternator.

I've been planning to for quite some time, but the fact the car randomly loses power has kept me from wandering long distances to fetch things. if it is a simple plug or relay then it should be easy, no?

take the car to a auto electrician, most will put a multimeter straight on your battery & direct output wire from alternator. you need more then 14volts when running (usually 14.7volts at idle) if your voltage is different at the battery to the alternator you have found a bad link wire from alt. A battery has several ways to be tested, most will damage the battery, and i'm not going to recomend one. but i will say disconect your fuel pump fuse and see how long it will crank before it starts to slow down (engine rpm) don't crank for more then 10 seconds at a time. if you can crank for a minute i would call the battery average. depends on your battery, and if butt's n maybe's.

your headlight wiring sounds like somebody has pigy backed the switch for the thermo's off it. and again--> auto elec.

can't really help you without a less jumbled up ramble from your part or better yet looking at the vehicle.

hope this helps you out.

p.s i hope you complete my s12 challange !

All my gazelle's are gone, but i have a stock S14 sunday driver.

#3 = SR S13 =

= SR S13 =

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

well to me mate it does sound like your alternator is failing, run a voltmeter across the bettery terminals when the car is running to see what the charge rate is, it shouldnt be at 14.7 as stated in the post above, that is actually quite high, normally the voltage output on an alternator is regulated about the 13 to 13.5 mark it can someteims be as low as 12.8 but that is a sign of the alternator wearing out, so see what you get and let us know

#4 Umai Naa!!

Umai Naa!!

JDM Magnet

• Admin
  • 4,243 posts
  • Name:Dean

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

Every healthy alternator I've tested has shown 14.7, or thereabouts.

im usually naked anywayclothes are for rich ppl

Can do cash jobs!

I can even come to you!

#5 Nehemiah

Nehemiah

VI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

Every healthy alternator I've tested has shown 14.7, or thereabouts.

Yeh I sent my CA20E Alt in for a bench test and new brushes and it pumped out 14.7V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users